Monday 9 March 2009

06/03/09 - Lands End - Johns Lake

Weight – 55lb 11oz
Catch – 10 Carp, 5 Crucian, 2 F1, 2 Tench, 1 Bream, 1 Perch, 1 Roach.
Weather – Frosty start, becoming mild.
Water Temp– 8.0c > 8.0c


After last Sundays match, I didn’t feel I got it completely right on Johns Lake and with the next round of the Winter League on this lake, I needed a confidence boost.


The weather forecast for Sunday suggested there would be heavy winds and showers, which would mean the long pole could become redundant and the fishing the tip would be the way forward. I know Tony Rixon’s reads my blog, not to gain any advice you understand, but I can see his eyes rolling at the thought of fishing the tip at Lands End.


The potential issue fishing the tip on Johns Lake was as well as catching carp, there was also a large number delicate biting crucians, which I didn’t want to miss out on. I also made up some small PVA bags filled with micro pellet to test the response.



I had intended to fish either peg 41 or 42, since I know there are loads of crucians in the area, but on arrival there was already a couple of anglers in these pegs. I thought about fishing 68 or 70 opposite, but eventually settled on peg 58 at the other end of the lake.


With an overnight frost and a light easterly breeze blowing into this end of the lake, I was a little apprehensive whether there would be any carp in the area, however a 3lb carp 1st cast on the tip and double corn suggested I didn’t need to worry.


I set up 3 pole rigs, 1 to fish tight against the island, then 2 rigs to fish the deeper water, 1 with .11 bottom & 20 silverfish pellet hook and the other with .13 bottom & 18 B911.


4 swims were set up, tight the far island fed with micro pellet & corn, bottom of the shelf fed with micro pellet, 14m to my right in open water fed with 4mm pellet and right hand margin fed with caster & 4mm pellet. The tip would be fished to the far end of the lake.


Although I concentrated on the pole, I did have a few fish on the lead and was happy with a hair rig of .14 bottom & 18 B911. As for the pole swims, I had to continually rotate swims to keep the fish coming, never being able to catch more than 2 fish from any 1 swim. The interesting as well as encouraging point was I caught most of my carp on corn, using the heavy rig, which meant the carp weren’t quite as tackle shy as before. I caught most of my silvers on the lighter rig and pellet, which included a 3lb 12oz bream. My biggest fish of the day was a 9lb 15oz carp, tight to the island on corn. The 14m open water swim never produced anything of substance, which was a surprise.




Overall an enjoyable day and this is my best weight from Johns Lake so mission accomplished in terms of a confidence boost.

No comments: