Thursday 31 July 2008

18/07/08 – Stafford Moor - Tanners

Weight – 65lb 3oz
Catch – 12 Carp, 4 Bream, 1 Tench, 1 Roach.
Weather – Wind & rain.
Water temp – 19.0c > 19.0c
Match – Residence - 2nd


Peg 13 wasn’t exactly the drew I wanted, but I did have the advantage of effectively having an end peg, plus the wind wasn’t quite as fierce as at the other end of the lake.

I set up 2 pellet wagglers, a skud, a lead rod and finally the pole to fish the margins, so I wanted cover all eventualities. I felt the only way to compete with the pegs on the lawns and in the 30s was to feed aggressively and pull some fish into my swim.


In the first 20mins 3pts of 8mm went in on the waggler line, in front of the island.

I didn’t catch until 45mins in and I then had to keep rotating methods to keep catching the odd fish. Feeding towards the island was difficult due to the strong cross wind and increasingly heavy rain. I lost a few, either due to being foul hooked or some of them were hooked around the face, so they weren’t really having it.

Throughout I had been feeding both margins. In the last 2 hours I started to concentrate in the margins. The right hand side proved best under the pallet, where I caught 4 carp, whilst the left margin produced 1 carp. Bait was a hair rigged 11mm pellet – I had to discourage the skimmers somehow, but still managed a few.

With 10 minutes to go, Andy came around. I was surprised to hear my 12 carp was jointly leading. The weigh in started at peg 34 (peg 36 wasn’t drawn) so by the time the scales came to me 63lb was winning. I wasn’t sure

I had enough, but was pleased to weight 65lb. The only other weight to beat me was 77lb from peg 8.

Overall, I was really pleased to finish 2nd since I worked really hard to get the most from the swim. In total I fed 13pts of 8mm & 6pts of 11mm.

No comments: