Wednesday 30 July 2008

17/07/08 – Stafford Moor - Woodpecker

Weight – 74lb 5oz
Catch – 100 Bream, 5 Crucian, 4 Roach, 1 Tench.
Weather – Cool wind, sun & cloud.
Water temp – 19.0c > 19.5c

Decided on a days silver fish fishing. I settled on Woodpecker, because I wanted to catch a few Crucians which go over 2lb and beat my best Stafford Moor silver fish weight of 67lb.

Peg 24 offers 7ft of water at 4m, before it gradually shallows up towards the island. So 4 tennis balls of micro pellet, groundbait and corn went in at 4m.

I had set up 2 rigs, 1x 1.5g polar ice with the olivette 10cm from the hook and 1x 1.0g polar ice, shotted more conventionally with 2x no. 9 droppers. After 40 mins I started to wonder whether I had chosen the right peg, because I only had 3 fish in the net, however my the end of the 1st hour I was up to 10 fish, mostly on the light rig.

As the session progressed the fish started to come more regularly and after 90mins I was exclusively using the heavy rig. Initially I had to mess around with the feeding and found a handful size ball every 2nd fish was best. Hook bait was corn.

I experienced a bit of a dodgy 4th hour, but by keeping the feed going in the fish came back.

1st hr = 10 fish, 2nd hr = 17, 3rd hr = 23, 4th hr = 16, 5th hr = 25, 6th hr = 19.

I didn’t catch as many Crucians as I hoped, but once the skimmers arrived in numbers, nothing else stands a chance. In the end it was a great session and best previous best silver fish weight from Stafford Moor.

No comments: