Saturday 26 July 2008

14/07/08 – Stafford Moor - Joseph’s

Weight – 82lb 4oz
Catch – 24 Bream, 12 Carp, 3 Roach.
Weather – Cloudy & cool. Tried to drizzle.
Water temp – 17.0c > 17.0c

At last, a week at Stafford Moor. This is now the 4th year I stay for a week with Dave Downton, Mike Etheridge and Jon Andres.

After arriving straight from Bullocks Farm the night before I wasn’t in any rush to get fishing. Well may be a little.

I settled on peg 4 on the dam wall. I started on the shallow pole, but I wasn’t happy. The water was clearer than I would have thought and it appears there had been a lot of rain in the previous week.

Therefore, I tried the pellet waggler, because I didn’t feel the fish were happy with a pole over their heads. Whilst I caught a few, it was hard work. Fish were topping, but actually getting them to feed was a different matter. As a back up I started to set up a margin line, both left and right. The left hand margin was 3ft deep, whilst the right hand margin was 5ft.

As usual I prefer to use paste in the margins. Initially the left margin didn’t produce, whilst the right margin produced skimmer, after skimmer. Eventually the left margin came good with 3 carp, but overall the fishing was difficult.

Jon fished peg 6 on the pole shallow and caught 67lb, Dave had 60/70lb from peg 38 and Mike had a few from an edge peg 12.

No comments: