Tuesday 7 May 2024

05/05/24 - Shiplate - West Pool

Weight - 131lb 11oz
Catch - 25 Carp, 7 Skimmers
Weather - Sunny start, rain later
Match - Open (8 fished) 4th overall

Todays open was on the canals, however with only 8 of us it was decided to use West Pool, rather than Hawthorns which had loads of willow fluff on it. P5 for me, which is the last peg in the narrow section of the lake.

After feeding some p-nut micros and A-Krill cloud covered meat across to the far bank, I decided to start on paste (Uzit Betaine Green) to my left at the bottom of the marginal shelf, hoping for an early mug fish. After 10mins and no bites it was time to fish across, toss potting 4 cubes of meat and a few micros I soon caught my first fish, quickly followed by a second before I struggled to get a proper bite and foul hooked a couple of fish.

I tried swapping left and right along the far bank, which helped as I caught a couple more carp, but I had to wait for a proper bite. In fact, the first half of the match was a bit of a struggle as the far bank didn’t develop as I had hoped, just nicking the odd fish, however, I had fallen behind Steve to my right who got off to great start in the first hour.

In the meantime, I had kept feeding 4mm p-nut pellet and micros over my paste line and it was starting to show signs of life, as I caught a skimmer and a carp.

In the end I just kept rotating between the paste line, the far bank and a short meat line, catching a fish, switching lines, catching another (or wait 10mins if no bites) and so on.

After 4hrs I had about 60lb, but was still behind Steve and I could see Mark and Alan in the middle pegs were also catching.

The last 2hrs was much better as the fish finally got their heads down. I caught a couple more from the far line, but they were a smaller stamp and I ditched this line with an hour remaining. The paste line proved to be the most productive, whilst the short meat line was disappointing only producing 2 carp and 2 skimmers. I had also started feeding micros and meat down my right margin, catching another 2 carp, but I didn’t feel the carp wanted to come into the shallow water.

Overall, an odd day, as I didn’t feel the fish were feeding that well, however the last 2 hours were excellent.

1.    166-14 – Steve Howell – p3
2.    158-  4 – Alan Quatrill – p11
3.    132-  4 – Mark Poppleton – p9
4.    131-11 – Ken Rayner – p5

No comments: