Monday 18 March 2024

17/03/24 - Harescombe - Meadow Lake

Weight - 48lb 5oz
Catch - 10 Carp
Weather - Heavy overnight rain. Cloudy with sunny periods
Match - Open (9 fished) - 2nd overall

Well, I got my car back and with no guarantee that the electrical issue has been 100% resolved, I decided to part-exchange it and brought another V90!

Only the one match this weekend and back to Harescombe for their open on Meadow Lake. More heavy overnight rain meant some of the roads on the drive up were flooded and it was also likely to have an affect on the fishing.

My draw put me on the 2nd peg out of the corner on the left bank and when I arrived the water was all coloured up in the left-hand reeds as the fish were still rooting around, which raised hopes of catching a few.

Plumbing up revealed the lake shelved away quite quickly and I didn’t see any point fishing long on the deck in what would be at least 7ft of water. Therefore, pole rigs were set up to fish each margin and a 3+2 line next to some lily pads in 5ft of water.

After feeding some meat covered in Uzit A-Krill cloud and 2mm p-nut pellet on the 3+2 line, I immediately started down the left margin fishing meat. Surprisingly, I never had a bite although there were still fish knocking the reeds.

Next, I tried the 3+2 line and the pellet waggler, but I was struggling for a bite. After 90mins I caught my first fish on the straight lead and 6mm p-nut pellet with a small tea bag of 2mm p-nut pellet.

So far, Luke Seabrook was already on 4 or 5 carp, whilst I was 1 of 4 who had caught at least 1 carp. As expected, it was fishing hard and over the next couple of hours I kept rotating lines managing 2 on the waggler, losing a 3rd. 

With 2 hours remaining I caught my first carp from the 3+2 line on meat, catching another 2 over the next hour, however I just felt I was fishing too deep. So, with an hour remaining I started feeding meat and micros down the right margin where I caught 2 more carp, plus a further 2 from the left margin.

5 fish in the last hour was very handy and I knew it would be close with Luke who had struggled in the last couple of hours. However, 2 fish late on swung it Luke’s way.

I was pleased to finish 2
nd, but I feel I need to find a way to catch more during the middle of the match. None the less, a tricky but enjoyable day.

1.    55-  9 – Luke Seabrook – p9
2.    48-  5 – Ken Rayner – p6
3.    34-  3 – Neil Martin – p1

No comments: