Thursday 31 August 2023

28/08/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 45lb 7oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Short shower  to start, mostly sunny with cloud periods
Match - Pairs (28 fished) - 18th overall, 7th in section

Mark & I had decided to enter the Bank Holiday Monday pairs match, he would take the canals and I would fish the Old Match Lake.

Mark did the draw and drew himself p42 on Kingfisher, whilst he gave me p13. Oh FFS, I really don’t like this peg and my section included P7 to p14, so not to sound too dramatic I was up against it.

I started on a small hybrid with dampen 4s and a 6mm pellet. This produced 2 carp in the first 30mins, but nothing else. I tried micros and then a method feeder, but except for 1 tiny carp I never had another fish.

I managed to catch a few carp at 16m on paste but had to continually back off the swim to let it settle.

As it was fishing hard, I set up a negatively fed pellet swim at 13m off at an angle but this didn’t work either.

To be honest I wasn’t overly concerned about the poor start as I’ve had a number of matches here were I’ve caught late short and/or down the margin. However, that didn’t happen today. I had a couple of fish at 5m and had carp coming into the margin but bolted out almost immediately.

A really frustrating match, which unfortunately went as I expected, with pegs 7, 8 & 10 taking the top 3 in section, whilst I finished 5th. Except for the end pegs 10,11 & 18, I had the best weight on my bank, so putting it into perspective I just wasn’t in the best area.

Mark managed 3rd in his section, beaten by the 2 end pegs.

1.    218-  6 – Chris Telling – p2 (OML)
2.    202-  4 – Mick Lane – p48 (K)
3.    145-  0 – Joff Rogers – p39 (K)
4.    134-  8 – Steve Waters – p7 (OML)
5.    116-  8 – Mark Poppleton – p42 (K)
6.    111-  4 – Alfie – p44 (K)

No comments: