Monday 24 October 2016

23/10/16 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight - 25lb 13oz (8lb 9oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 6 Roach, 3 F1s, 2 Skimmers, 1 Perch
Weather - Sunny, cool breeze.
Match - Open - 14th out of 25, 5th in silvers
 
Another lovely cooked breakfast by Di is a great way to start the day. With 25 booked in we had 13 on Match lake and 12 on Johns.

I was disappointed with p5, which hasn't been a great area, unless you have some room, which I didn't with Tony Rixon on p3 and Mike Duckett on p7. Fishing the island was a no go simple because Mike has yet to top up the lakes, which meant you could still see the bottom of the shelf.

P5 is normally a good silvers area, however the silvers haven't really fed on this lake recently despite some good silvers anglers targeting them. Therefore decided to focus on fishing pellet and hopefully pick up some skimmers and/or F1s along the way.

After feeding some micros/4s to my left at the bottom the shelf, I started on corn fished towards to the gap. I had a few liners, but no fish. A switch to fishing a 4mm expander didn't produce either. In fact the first 4 hrs was incredibly hard, with only 1 F1 and a handful of tiny roach on maggot. I did however pull out of 1 skimmer and lost 3 carp.

I tried down each margin were I had fed caster to my left and pellet to my right. Neither swims produced all match. The only place I had any confidence would produce a bite was fishing in the gap between the island. With 2 hours left I only had 1.5lb in the net, but I kept toss potting a pinch of micros/4s and eventually started to get regular bites on 4mm expander, netting 3 carp, 2 skimmers and 2 F1s.

Frustratingly I lost 6 carp in total, 3 were definitely foul hooked, but felt the other 3 were hooked properly. More disappointing was pulling out of a skimmer as I was shipping back which would have won me the silvers pay out on match lake.

Except for Trigger on p11, everyone struggled on Match lake. Tony had 29lb to my left and Mike to my right had 19lb. I am sure the lake is suffering from the lack of water and once the lakes are topped up which will happen this week it will fish much better.

1st 188-11 - Craig Edmunds (Mosella) - p11
2nd 94- 0 - Matt Tomes (Bristol) - p42
3rd 88- 9 - Tom Mangnall (Mosella) - p70
4th 68-12 - Steve Seager (Bristol) - p19
5th 55- 0 - Leon Hubbard (Bristol) - p68
6th 53-13 - Paul Elmes (Mosella) - p55

Silvers
1st 32- 7 - Rod Wootten (Bristol) - p41
2nd 10-12 - Matt Tomes (Bristol) - p42
3rd 9- 4 - Gary O'Shea (Thatchers) - p51
4th 9- 3 - Clint Wotlyla (Bristol) - p15
5th 8- 9 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p5

No comments: