Thursday 28 July 2016

24/07/16 - Trinity Waters - Woodland

Weight - 7lb 13oz - silvers (31lb 2oz - total)
Catch - 53 Skimmers, Roach, Rudd & Perch. Plus 3 carp
Weather - Muggy & showery
Match - Open - 1st out of 21 - silvers (14th overall)

Have to say this lake is turning into a bit of bogey water for me, I seem to do OK for silvers, but struggle to catch any number of carp.

I was pleased to draw p11, which gave me an empty peg to my left. Clint Wotlyla was on p13, which meant it was never going to be a quiet day and Adrian Jefferys to my right on p10.

Before the start I cleared out the right hand margin, which was solid with roots and branches, whilst I cleared out most of the debris there were still a few bits left, which I only snagged up on a couple of times. Fortunately the left hand margin was a lot clearer.

To be honest I didn't fish a good match today. I tried shallow at various depths, as well as a long line rig without success. A look down the right hand margin on paste, where I had seen a fish swirl, presumably grubbing around the bottom which had been disturbed when I cleared out the roots. However one small skimmer and lots of nibbles from silvers was all I could muster.

After an hour and no carp I decided to go back down the right margin again where I had kept feeding 4s with a semi-strong rig fishing worm. This produced a number of small skimmers, plus a few better sized perch. I started feeding caster which was a mistake, since it just encouraged more tiny rudd into the swim. Fishing caster on the hook was pointless, so struck with worm which was a bit more hardy.

I kept the long shallow line topped up which didn't produce, as well as a 10m paste line where I had 2 carp.

The left margin was fed with meat & hemp. I hooked a carp, but it did me around the front leg of the pallet. Clint caught 2 carp on corn from the other side of the pallet losing a 3rd.

A change to the worm rig down the left hand side produced more perch, plus a carp, but it was mostly small roach & rudd.

By the all out, I wasn't particularly pleased with my efforts, but was surprised to have won the silvers with sure a low weight. In hindsight I should have set up a pellet/meat rig to fish on the desk to pick up carp and hopefully a few better sized skimmers.

1st 108-15 - Tony Rixon - p15
2nd 88- 4 - Clayton Hudson - p24
3rd 74- 6 - Martin McMahon - p2
4th 70-10 - Jason Radford - p26
5th 68- 5 - Joe McMahon - p18
6th 65- 2 - Dave Evans - p20
Silvers
1st 7-13 - Ken Rayner - p11
2nd 7- 5 - Steve Seager - p27
3rd 6-10 - Clint Wotlyla - p13 

No comments: