Monday 27 October 2014

26/10/14 - Todber Manor - Park Lake

Weight - 37lb 0oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 9 F1s, 1 Skimmer, 1 Roach
Weather - Mostly cloudy, cool breeze
Match - Todber Series - rd 1 - 18th out of 24, 2nd out of 6 section

Before covering Sundays match, just want to say how sad I was to hear that Avon Angling will be closing. It certainly will be an end of an era and hopefully Tony will find a new role somewhere that will allow him to abuse his customers with a smile! John will no doubt retire, at least he won’t need to worry about servicing customers. All the best for the future.

Today was the first round of a 4 match series at Todber Manors Park Lake, organised by Mark Poppleton and Nick Merry, with 24 anglers split over 4 sections, with each angler fishing all sections.

For the 3rd time in the last 5 visits I drew peg 28, which isn’t the best. However I only needed to worry about my section which ran from p22 to p29. Included in my section was Steve Tucker (p22), Dave Morrison (p23), Bob Wheeler (p25), Clint Wotlyla (p26) and Roland “Roly” Lucas (p29).

As well as all new colmic keepnets supplied by the venue, the island also got a trim, which meant you could fish tight across. I decided to concentrate fishing across, setting up 2 rigs to fish expander and an “on the drop” rig to fish hair rigged 6mm pellet. A meat rig to fish at 6m, plus a margin rig (that never got used) completed my set-up.

After feeding meat & hemp at 6m, I went straight across toss potting pellet, which produced a few liners, but no fish. After 15mins something wasn’t right, because most of us were fishless, which is very unusual for this venue.

I decided to concentrate on the soft pellet rig, toss potting 6s & some micros to my left, building the swim gradually, whilst I kept pinging 6s to my right under the tree. I caught my first fish, an F1 after 30mins. It was slow going, but I gradually started to put a few F1s in the net, plus a carp.

After 90mins I noticed a swirl under the right hand tree, so went across with the hard pellet rig and caught 3 carp straight away fishing as tight as I could to the far bank, before they backed off.

At the half way stage, Tucks was on walkabout to see how the section was doing and I was leading with 4 carp and 8 F1s, whilst he only had 2 carp. I just needed to keep putting fish in the net. It was noticeable the anglers on the other side of the lake were now catching, particularly Fabio on p20, but on my side it was quite frankly dire. By swapping between swims and rigs I managed to catch a few more carp.

I had hoped my meat line would produce late on, but only had 1 carp. As for my margin, I couldn’t fish left due to a tree, which meant sharing my right hand margin with Roly, who tried it a couple of times without a bite. Unfortunately Tucks had a good last hour down his margins to claim the section win with 54lb, leaving me 2nd in what turned out to be a very hard section. Clint and Roly only had 6lb & 8lb respectively, so actually really pleased to come away with 37lb and a brown envelope.

1st 156- 2 – Tony Rixon – p38
2nd 123-10 – Bela Bakos – p37
3rd 91- 3 – Mike Nicholls – p7
4th 90- 0 – Phil Harding - p20
5th 86- 6 – Fred Roberts – p16
6th 86- 2 – Ashley Tompkins – p1
6th 86- 2 – Chris Fox – p3

No comments: