Sunday 13 November 2011

13/11/11 - Ivy House - Little Lake

Weight – 3lb 14oz
Catch – 15 Roach, 2 Perch, 1 Skimmer
Weather – Bright & sunny, SE breeze.
Match – Club – 11th out of 16

We had the choice of the large or little lake, depending on how many booked in. By Friday night we had 10, so we decided on the little lake because apparently it had been fishing well, however come Sunday we ended up with 16, so a bit of a squeeze, since it was now too late to change lakes.

My drawing arm hasn’t been the best recently and it didn’t disappoint with peg 11 along the car park bank.

Since I expected the fishing to be hard, decided to knock up one of my favourite winter groundbaits, black lake with mussel & squid. 3 balls went in at 13m were it was 7ft deep with some caster and micros. Also feed caster at 8m. I would have preferred to fish shorter but the lake bed is like a bowl with no shelf.

The first 15mins was spent on the lead/corn, but with no liners or bites, switched to the short line which produced some roach. Unfortunately they weren’t coming quickly but at least I was catching unlike most, although Pete to my right had already fed enough for everyone!

After an hour a switch to the 13m line, produced more roach, then a 1½lb skimmer. With no further bites I topped with another ball of groundbait, which failed, so decided to cup in 4 balls and just leave it, but never had a bite from here. My short line produced another short burst of roach on the deck. I tried catching at mid depth, but other than 1 bite this also failed to produce.

With 2 hours left of the 5, I was falling behind as the odd carp was being landed from the opposite bank.

I had been lightly feeding a 16m swim with 3 & 4mm pellet and with an hour left decided to concentrate hoping for a carp, trying soft pellet and corn without success. In the last hour I fell further behind as Graham to my left landed a 9lber, before Chris opposite had a proper munter of 16lb on his roach rig.

Despite my best efforts I couldn’t get a carp, I even tried the margins, but with anglers either side, coupled with flat, bright conditions it was a nonstarter, but I had to try.

During the weigh in, a number of single carp weights beat me and nearly everyone had a carp from peg 18 and around the island. There simply wasn’t any carp in the deeper water in my area of the lake.

1st 33- 4 – Kev Millard – peg 1
2nd 23- 0 – Andy Lord – peg 19
3rd 19- 1 – Chris Davidge – peg 18
4th 12- 9 – Nick Pople – peg 5
5th 10-11 – Don Smith – peg 20
6th 9-10 – Tim Allen – peg 8

No comments: