Wednesday 29 May 2024

27/05/24 - Shiplate - Hawthorns

Weight - 156lb 12oz
Catch - 40 Carp, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Dry start, a couple of showers and a sunny afternoon.
Match - Open Rover (17 fished) - 6th overall, 1st on the lake.

I decided to fish a rover at Shiplate this bank holiday Monday, which was spread over the whole complex. I had 15
th pick and as expected the pegs I fancied drawing on the main lake had already gone. I could have gone on West Pool, but as I have fished there a few times recently decided to try p11 on Hawthorns.

When I arrived, there were a few fish sunbathing and hopeful of a catching a few. On the all-in I immediately tried the mugging rig and caught a carp within 5mins, at which point all the sunbathers disappeared, re-
appearing to my right in the quiet water.

Moving across tight to the far bank fishing paste (Uzit GLM & Betaine) over 4mm and micros p-nut pellet, catching straight away and finished the hour with 6 fish, although the swim had slowed, and I wasn’t sure paste was the right approach.

Therefore, I decided to switch to fishing meat covered in Uzit A-krill cloud, tapping in 6-8 pieces of 8mm meat with a few micros. It was slow to get going and by switching left and right along the far bank on a light strung out rig, I moved up to 17 fish by the halfway point (3hrs). The fourth hour was excellent with another 11 carp, before the fishing slowed.

I tried fishing paste in the margin, which was 4ft deep and a 2+2
line after I had been feeding both lines for the last 2hrs, but the response was disappointing catching only a handful of fish and I needed to move back to the far bank.

At the weigh in I had won Hawthorns, but reports were filtering through of a couple of  200lb weights on the other lakes and the chances of me being in the top 4 was looking remote for a pick up and that is how it turned out.

The only disappointment of what was an enjoyable day was the average stamp of fish, which were smaller than expected.


1.   
220-12 - Dave Cockayne – p8 (west pool)
2.    215-  8 – Kurt Pinkett – p11 (main lake)
3.    215-  0 – Luke Fothergill – p7 (main lake)
4.    199-  1 – Dom Sullivan – p12 (west pool)
5.    185-  2 – Matt Shephard – p2 (west pool)
6.    156-12 – Ken Rayner – p11 (hawthorns)

No comments: