Tuesday 3 October 2023

30/09/23 - Trinity Waters - Woodland

Weight - 9lb (4.090 kilo)
Catch - 1 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Sunny, with cloudy periods
Match - Uzit Bomb & Feeder League - rd 1 (18 fished) - 1st in section, 10th overall

I fancied doing something different and decided to enter the Uzit Bomb & Feeder series at Trinity Waters on Woodland Lake. I also hoped it would be a chance to improve my tip fishing.

As I haven’t fished the venue for 7 years I had a practice on Wednesday and after an initial slow start managed to catch 82lb, including fish up to 15lb, mostly at 5m or down the margins. Paul Homewood also turned up and caught well, so expectation for today was for a few fish to be caught.

Unfortunately, the lake had suffered a fish kill due to an oxygen crash last month and the fishing had been hard, but as Paul & I had caught mid-week it was hoped the fish had recovered.

Today was the first of 5 matches and points would be split over 4 sections. The league rules meant no feeding by hand, which proved to be more difficult than you would expect, although feeding by catapult was allowed.

The draw put me on p20 in the corner, which I was told is a good peg, although the wind was blowing down the other end and I felt the other end would be better.

As for the match, there wasn’t much to write about as the lake fished a lot harder than expected.

I fed 4 feeders full of Thatcher’s green and p-nut 2mm pellet soaked with green betaine towards the end bank. Whilst that settled, I fished a t-bag parallel to the willow tree, but never had a liner.

I then fished a method to the end bank and on the 3rd cast caught a small roach on a 6mm wafter! At least that saved the blank!

I also fed a 13m line with groundbait and micros hoping for some skimmers as the carp weren’t feeding. However, other than one small skimmer caught on dead maggot which dropped off as I tried to swing it to hand, I again had no bites.

With 90mins remaining I fed meat soaked in A-krill cloud at 6m via a large bait up feeder and eventually with 30mins left caught my one and only carp. Fortunately, it was enough to win my section.

As expected, the better weights came from the windward end of the lake, however there were 3 blanks and the lake fished well below par.

All weights are in kilos.

1.    16.470 – Ken Cocks – p9
2.    15.550 – Steve Jackson – p32
3.    13.600 – Paul Rossiter – p6
4.    12.190 – Robert Dumitrescu– p26
5.    11.180 – Dan Squires – p8

No comments: