Tuesday 24 October 2023

22/10/23 - Ivy House - Kingfisher

Weight - 24lb 13oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 5 Skimmers
Weather - Mostly sunny. Lake was still coloured
Match - Tackle Den (19 fished) - 12th overall

With 19 of us fishing both canals were used which would mean that most pegs would be in. They were still both coloured although the water levels had dropped down closer to normal, however I still expected another hard day.
P43 put me in the middle of Kingfisher next to where Andy dug the trench from the Old Match Lake and pegs in either side of me.

On the all in I fed a small ball of Uzit crushed expander and micros at the bottom of the far shelf and started on corn at the bottom of the near shelf in front of the cut out, which produced 1 carp after 30mins.

Switching to the bottom of the far shelf didn’t produce a bite, which was a surprise as I had kept this line topped and it usually produces something. In the meantime, Dan to my right started catching tight to the far bank.

Normally, this far line can be a foul hooking nightmare as it’s nearly 3.5ft tight to the bank, but felt I had no choice to try as I needed to catch. To keep the fish down I cupped in a small ball of crushed expander and micros, and I caught 3 carp and a decent skimmer on 6mm expander or corn, before I stopped catching.

I still couldn’t catch over my negatively fed bottom of the shelf line, so decided to cup in a big ball of crushed expander with micros and plenty of dead maggot, slightly to my right.
15mins later when I went over it, I caught
immediately, but like everything I tried it was short lived.

Pinging pellet can be good on this lake and at the halfway point I started pinging 4s. With the sun making an appearance a few fish also started showing themselves and I decided to set up a shallow rig and caught a 5lber quite quickly, but again couldn’t catch another. I kept pinging the pellet, hoping the fish would settle over the feed later in the match, but never had a bite.

This just left my margins. The right margin was 4ft deep where I caught 1 carp on corn. As for the left margin, I started at the bottom of the shelf and moved up the slope, but only had 1 carp. In the end I tried tight to the bank, cupping in plenty of dead maggot, groundbait and micros, but nothing came over it. The margins were frustrating as there seemed to be loads of debris around, probably not helped by the overflow of water from the old match lake.

Another disappointing day. However, looking at the results it became obvious the weights came from either end of the lake or the pegs with a spare next to them.

1.    101-  1 – Andrew Black – p47
2.      70-  4 – Andy Bartlett – p37
3.      50-  1 – Alistair Tilney – p48
4.      49-  8 – John Brady – p40
5.      44-13 – Matt Greaves – p38

No comments: