Monday 15 November 2021

14/11/21 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 38lb 4oz
Catch - 24 Carp, 6 F1s, 1 Gudgeon
Weather -Grey and cloudy.
Match - Open (17 fished)

With a choice of fishing the Old Match Lake or Heron, I fancied Heron for a few bites, plus it served as some practice for next week’s winter league match.

I was happy enough with p6, as you have a long right-hand margin, however on arrival the lake had gone clear. Speaking to Andy he had stopped using the aerators overnight, which I don’t mind, otherwise it just circulates the cold water which has a real negative affect on the fishing.

With it being clear I didn’t think catching short was an option, although when I saw Dave Willmott on p2 do just that, I did wonder.

Initially I started on the lead/bread towards the island hoping for an early fish whilst I let my 14m swim settle after cupping in a small ball of BMGX:FA1 with BMG boosted micros. After 10mins and no bites it was time to try the 14m line, toss potting a nugget of groundbait and micros, fishing a 4mm BMG janner.

After an hour I had 6 fish and it was slow going, but other than Dave not much was being caught from what I could see. I had to keep chopping and changing how I fed, as well as gradually going longer towards to 16m.

Mike Ethridge to my left, had a good spell on the feeder mid-match, so I tried the maggot feeder for 2 carp and a mini banjo for none, but p6 isn’t a noted feeder peg, as you only have a small spit to aim at.

At the start after seeing the clarity of the water I had set up a maggot rig, with .10 bottom and 20 hook, but hoped I wouldn’t need it. However, halfway through the match I was struggling and picked up the maggot rig, which produced a few extra fish, but I still struggled for bites.

Going into the last hour was the best with 11 fish, as I switched back to the pellet rig, just feeding micros and then down the margin for last 20mins on maggot.

Overall, I finished 8th and felt I should have done a little better, although to be honest I didn’t do enough to challenge the top 4 today.


1.
    75- 8 – Jamie Dixey – p13
2.    60- 0 – Chris Telling – p17
3.    55-12 – Dwayne Seed – p19
4.    48- 4 – Mike D – p23
5.    44-12 – Dave Willmott – p2

No comments: