Sunday 23 August 2015

23/08/15 - Fishponds

Weight - 301lb 1oz
Catch - 47 Carp, 2 Rudd, 1 Roach, 1 Eel
Weather - Hot & sunny, later thundery showers and humid
Match - Club - 1st out of 7

Well Sue had some good news on Friday, which should make life a little easier and allow me to relax more on my fishing. Its been fair to say I have been a little distracted over the last couple of months.

Due to holidays, we only had 7 today (plus 2 pleasure anglers) for this afternoon/evening match. With so much space I was happy to drew anywhere, although peg 6 was top of my wish list due to the shallow left hand margin and duly I drew it.

The plan for today was to keep it simple with paste and pellet. A paste and pellet rig were set up to fish the 2ft deep margin, a deep water paste rig to fish to my right and finally a long line shallow rig to hopefully catch some of the fish that were showing themselves on what is the hottest day for a few weeks.

On the all in a 1/2 pot of 6s was deposited into the left hand margin and started on the shallow rig at 13m. After 5mins there were carp already showing themselves in the margin and with no indications on the shallow rig, a switch to the paste rig resulted in a fish straight away. Unfortunately the elastic snapped at the side slot.

Sticking to the left hand margin I managed 9 carp in the first hour all on paste, feeding a small handful of 6s. The swim was slowing a little and a switch to the shallow swim which had been fed from the off with 8s, produced a further 6 or 7 carp, but in the bright flat conditions the fish were difficult to tempt despite fishing with a long line.

Back on the paste down the left hand margin and the fish had settled again, catching most put ins including a couple of double figure fish up to 13lb 5oz. When I felt the swim needed a break a switch to the shallow swim would produce a few more fish.

With 90mins left the skies became darker, there was a flash of lighting and the heavy rain started, which slowed my catch rate. After the main part of the storm passed the rain became lighter, but a breeze had picked up and the fishing the shallow long line proved a little tricky. I could have set up a conventional shallow rig, but instead decided to pot pellet to my right, which produced a few more carp, plus a decent eel on paste. However it was the left hand margin that produced the bulk of my fish.

Come the weigh in I was left a little red faced. The net limit at the lake is 100lb and the whole net is discounted if it goes over 110lb. My first net weighed 109-10, which was knocked back to 100lb. My 3rd net was completely empty!!! God knows how I managed that but was relieved to get away with it.

1st 301- 1 - Ken Rayner - p6
2nd 179- 1 - Andy Lord - p22
3rd 142- 8 - Paul Lewis - p12
4th 93- 0 - Chris Davidge - p15

No comments: