Monday 3 August 2015

02/08/15 - Sedges - Tile

Weight - 38lb 15oz
Catch - 6 Carp, 3 Skimmer, 1 Eel
Weather - Sunny, but very windy
Match - Float Only rd 5 - 22nd out of 39, 3rd in section

Well after a very stressful 10 days with Sue who had 2 ambulance visits to the hospital with a suspected stroke/seizure the good news is it doesn't appear to be quiet so sinister, although a MRI scan has been booked just to make sure. Pretty scary at the time and it does help put things in perspective, not even Paul Elmes attempt to wind me up for the umpteenth time with his PB joke bothered me.

Mike Walker followed me down to the fishery, because he had never visited the venue and didn't trust his sat nav not to dump him in the middle of a field. A quick walk around the lakes with Mike and Chris Fox and we all wanted to draw the windward end of the lakes where a strong wind was blowing. Personally I fancied attacking the skimmers on Brick again.

Into the draw queue. Nick Chedzoy ahead of me pulled p10 (corner), I drew p27, Mike behind me was on p11 (corner) and then I think Tim Ford went on to p40 (another corner). Oh well never mind.

Speaking to Bob Gullick he said P27 was a decent draw, so hopeful of a good day, although the strength of the wind blowing down the lake was a concern.

For company I had Billy Grover on p26, Kev Molton p28, Tom Mangnall p29 and Nick Ewers in the corner on p30. So a tough section to get a result from.

After Thursday's match I decided to focus on paste at 5m, instead of meat. In hindsight this may have been a mistake. After feeding 4 balls of groundbait at 13m, I started at 5m fishing paste, which brought little dinks on the float but no fish. I suspected skimmers, so switched to a soft pellet and caught an eel.

A skimmer from the 13m line was the only fish from here purely because the wind was too strong to provide any presentation. Back on the 5m line I added another 2 skimmers on worm, but still no carp. In fact those around me were all struggling.

I kept feeding the 5m line,  hoping to catch later, but it never happen and was left wondering whether I should have switched to feeding meat. Looking at the weigh sheets, the better weights on each lake came from the right hand banks, so perhaps it was simply a case the fish preferred to be that side of the lakes.

In the end I caught all my carp shallow on 8mm pellet at 14m. To be honest I was disappointed I couldn't catch a few more shallow, because I could see Chris Davis opposite catching well shallow. At one point a gust of wind was so strong it spun me round nearly knocking out Kev on the next peg!

As for the margins they were a complete bust and very little was caught in the margins on my side of the lake.

I was glad to hear the all out, because my back was in pieces. Back at the car I was pleased see Mike had won the match on his 1st visit, he certainly had a red letter day. Well done mate.

1st 187- 4 - Mike Walker - p11
2nd 146-11 - Nick Chedzoy - p10
3rd 133- 1 - Gary O'Shea - p31
4th 119-11 - Chris Davis - p34
5th 114- 9 - Tony Rixon - p12
6th 88- 3 - Tim Ford - p40

Silvers
1st 33- 5 - Vic Bush - p14
2nd 30- 6 - Mike Nicholls  - p19
3rd 19- 2 - Leon Hubbard - p15

No comments: