Monday 27 October 2014

25/10/14 - Emerald Pool

Weight - 39lb 3oz
Catch - 74 Skimmers/Hybrids, 12 Tench, 3 Rudd, 1 Roach
Weather - Mostly cloudy.
Match - Silverfish League rd 2 - 4th out of 9

The 2nd round of this silvers league and after a bad first round I needed to put in a better performance. 

Peg 8 was home for the day, which put was on the shallower left hand side of the far bank, which is a nice peg, but it is a bit of birdcage with low overhanging branches, which meant I had to be careful where I placed my box to ensure the branches would cause the least problems.
 
Plumbing around I decided to fish 8m left and right, as well as the margins. Only 2 rigs got used a SM Chimp 0.3g > .12 > 16 silverfish pellet and a Jolly 4x12 > .10 > 20 silverfish maggot.

On the all in, 2 balls of groundbait went in to my right and a single ball to my left. Starting on the left hand side I soon caught a few skimmers and tench on worm or maggot, but after an hour only had 13 fish, which I didn’t feel was quick enough. I had been toss potting a small ball of groundbait/caster, which certainly pulled the fish in, but it was taking too long to get a proper bite and I had to change something.

Since the chimp rig sat better in the skimming breeze I switched to a lighter .10 > .20 silverfish pellet hooklength and stopping feeding groundbait into the right hand swim, simply feeding caster/maggot i.e. toss pot. I still kept feeding groundbait into the left side.

This definitely improved matters catching a lot quicker over the right side with either single or double maggot. Whilst I couldn’t catch as quickly over the left hand groundbait it did produce slightly better sized skimmers.

By the half way stage I was up to 53 fish and really enjoying my day. Unfortunately the fourth hour proved difficult, losing 2 tench at the net and on both occasions my rig ended up in the overhanging branches. The 2nd time it happened I couldn’t save the rig so had to set up a new one from scratch, since ruining my duplicate plumbing up whilst setting up.

Throughout I had been feeding caster into the left side margin and groundbait/caster into the right. Strangely the left margin only produced 1 bite after feeding it for 4 hours, so I ended up concentrating on the right side catching some decent skimmers and a few more tench, including a 3lber which I thought it was another carp when I hooked it, quickly getting it back onto my to top kit. When I realised it was a tench, I played it a little more carefully!

During the last 90mins I got back into a rhythm catching more from the margin. Come the weigh in I have to admit I was disappointed to miss out on framing and a pickup. Those 2 lost tench proved costly. This is the 3rd match on the trot where lost fish has cost me money. Losing rigs to overhanging trees didn’t help either.

That aside it was an enjoyable day with plenty of bites and this was my best silvers weight from the venue, so an improvement on my part. Dom definitely has the venue sussed at the moment, easily winning and he will be difficult to beat for the overall league.

1st 61-2 - Dom Sullivan – p7
2nd 43-10 – Tim Lewis – p3
3rd 40-13 – Kev Jeffries – p5
4th 39- 3 – Ken Rayner – p8
5th 27-11 – Barry Fitchew – p4
6th 26-14 – Darren Greenwood – p2

No comments: