Sunday 19 October 2014

11/10/14 - Emerald Pool

Weight - 29lb 6oz
Catch - 58 Skimmers, 25 Hybrids, 2 Roach, 1 Tench, 1 Perch
Weather - Mostly warm and sunny
Match - Silver Only Series rd 1 - 7th out of 9

I’ve been a little slack on my blogs recently, mainly due to a lack of time as a result of work pressures, so last weekend’s blog will be fairly short and both matches proved frustrating for different reasons.

Saturdays match was the first of 6 rounds of a silvers only league at Emerald Pool run by Dominic Sullivan. Originally I think Dom wanted 14 or so, however getting people to commit to a Saturday league proved difficult with the final total being 9. For this series the definition of silvers would exclude anything with carp in the name, so fantails, F1, goldfish and crucians wouldn’t count.

I have to admit my silverfish fishing with natural baits is a little behind some of the anglers fishing today. Ideally I would have wanted to have a practice but since I couldn’t decided to fish positively, targeting the skimmers and hybrid using pellet & groundbait.

I was happy with my draw which put me on the island, feeding groundbait/pellet at 10m left and right, plus a short caster swim.

I started really well at 10m, catching 40 fish in the first 2 hours either on 4mm expander or worm. Unfortunately, it gradually got worst. I had plenty of fish in the swim judging by the number of bubbles, but getting bites simply proved increasingly difficult.

My caster swim didn’t quite produce as expected and in hindsight I should have replaced my caster rig when it got busted by a carp. So despite the good start, a disappointing result in the end, although plenty learned. I certainly caught plenty of fish, however I didn’t have any bonus tench (except for a small one) or big skimmers.

Either way, nearly 30lb of silvers isn’t a bad days fishing.

1st 51-11 Darren Greenwood – p1
2nd 41- 3 Dom Sullivan – p7
3rd 40-10 Kev Jeffries – p9
4th 38- 8 Tim Lewis – p8
5th 32- 4 Andy Gard – p3
6th 30- 9 Barry Fitchew – p6

No comments: