Tuesday 29 July 2014

27/07/14 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 79lb 8oz
Catch - 27 Carp, 3 Roach
Weather - Warm & sunny, becoming windy later
Match - Club - 2nd out of 15

Another late blog, because work is really busy at the moment which is good news, however it will mean I won’t be able to go fishing as often as I would like.
 

I did fish Saturdays open, but really cocked it up weighing only 48lb for plum last. So today was a chance to put right what I got wrong yesterday. Groundbait is working at the moment and I wanted to get to grips with it, because it’s not a method I have ever used, plus its margin fishing which I also need to improve. 

My draw today was behind the island, which isn’t a peg you would normally want, although in recent weeks some decent weights have come from the area.
 
The first hour of the match was spent fishing half way across towards the island on the lead/meat over 8mm pellet. I dare not fish closer due to snags, however I wasted too much time fishing the waggler at full depth, which for some reason just didn’t work, when the straight lead would have been better. 

After 75mins I had 4 carp, which was fewer than I wanted at this stage. A switch to the left hand margin, were I had already received a couple of pots of groundbait proved frustrating. I was tried double meat, worm, pellet and paste, but just couldn’t get the fish settled. I couldn’t work out how best to feed, very time I thought I got it sussed, catching a couple of carp, they would become unsettled again, losing fish, some of which were foul hooked.
 
I was gradually putting fish in the net, but not nearly quickly enough. The only angler I could see properly was Andy Lord on the top bank, who seemed to be catching regularly, so I really needed to pull my finger out.
 
As well as feeding the left hand margin, I had also been feeding my right hand margin under the tree on my top 3, which I had intended to be a throwaway line. In the end it proved to be quite productive. The last 2 hours of the match I got my act together, not sure whether it was because I got my feeding right or because it was late in the day. By swapping between the margins, I caught quickly, fishing paste to be my right and meat to my left.
 
I had noticed that Andy had slowed up and was hopeful of catching him up, but at least I knew I was in a better position to frame and pick up a brown envelope than I was 90mins earlier. In the end I fell just short of Andy to finish 2nd overall, which was a relief, but came away frustrated, because I know I didn’t get it completely right. I don’t seem to have any problem pulling the fish into the swim, but need to think more about presentation.
 
1st 80-10 – Andy Lord – p8
2nd 79- 8 – Ken Rayner – p10
3rd 72- 9 – Chris Davidge – p13
4th 70-10 – Andy Bradley – p5
5th 64- 0 – Tim Allen – p6
6th 63- 7 – Glenn Putterill –p9

No comments: