Sunday 20 July 2014

15/07/14 - Glebe - Pool 6

Weight - 84lb 0oz
Catch - 16 Carp, 16 Bream, 2 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - MFS - 13th out of 16

I’m a bit late with this blog, simply because I’ve been busy with work and I’ve just spent the weekend in Bournemouth with Sue’s family.
 

I’m not going to dwell too much on this match which was organised by MFS, which was held on pools 6 & 7. I turned up with the expectation of catching shallow and surprisingly it didn’t work as expected. I drew a decent enough peg, p87, however arriving at the lake the breeze was blowing down to the other end of the lake, which meant all the ripple was 2 pegs above me.
 

As well as catching shallow I was also hoping to sort out how I approach the Glebe margins, because I’ve struggled in the past, so I was duly armed with loads of caster to fish shallow, as well as plenty of 6mm pellet. I also had 3kgs of groundbait for the margins.
 
I made 3 mistakes during the day. The first was not taking a feeder rod, because the anglers either side caught straight and Woody in particular to my right on p89 was catching very well, although most the fish were small by Glebe standards. However I’m not a fan of the feeder, so wasn’t too concerned. I had started down the right margin on double corn over regular small balls of groundbait and caught 2 carp, plus a few decent skimmers, before the swim dried up.
 
The second mistake was buggering about trying to catch shallow. I started by feeding caster whilst fishing the margin and soon there was plenty of fish moving about, however as soon I shipped out the pole the fish disappeared due to the lack of ripple. The problem was I spent too long trying to make it work and chasing fish around the swim, dropping either 8mm pellet or maggot in front of them, but the carp just bolted away. A sure sign they have seen it all before and have become very wary. A switch from feeding caster to 6mm pellet produced a better response but still too few carp, with big skimmers showing instead.
 
The third mistake was not having enough corn with me, I thought I had more than I actually had, which meant I couldn’t attack the 5m line as I had intended, which is a key line at the Glebe at the moment.

 
The only good aspect of the day was the margins. Not much was caught down the margins on our lake and as it turned out I had done well in that respect, so as at least some lessons learnt.
 
I think a few people have expected me to be distraught, but to me honest, my attitude towards fishing as changed in the last couple of years. A few years ago I probably been very grumpy, although I had one of my worst days at the Glebe, I still caught 84lb, but more importantly know where I went wrong and will get it right (hopefully) in 3 weeks for my return visit.

 1st - 322- 6 – Pete Bailey (pool 7)
2nd - 218- 4 – Ross – p90 (pool 6)
3rd - 200- 0 – Scone – p93 (pool 6)
4th - 175-12 – Woody – p89 (pool 6)
5th - 147- 8 – J Pearson – p87 (pool 6)
6th – 147- 4 – p101 (pool 7) 

No comments: