Monday 31 March 2014

30/03/14 - Todber - Park Lake

Weight - 44lb 8oz
Catch - 13 Carp, 11 F1, 7 Roach, 1 Tench
Weather - Warm & sunny!
Match - Todber series rd 2 - 16th out of 24, 4th out of 6 section

My plans for the weekend were to spend it with Sue, watch the Malaysian Grand Prix and generally chill out after what has been a stressful week at work. However Mark Poppleton needed a replacement for his Todber series, where my 6 peg section would be between pegs 22 & 29. I fancied 23 or 25 on the corner, but ended up on 28, which wasn’t great, although I did come 6th from the peg back in November last year.

For company I had Chris Cassell on p26 and Steve Musitano on p29. The fishery staff had obviously been doing some tiding up cutting back the sedges and brambles along the island, but unfortunately had only got as far as Steve’s peg, which meant I still had the sedges to deal with.

With a warm & sunny day forecast the prospects for a good day looked high, however it turned into a rather frustrating day instead, where the fish where reluctant to feed. My plan of attack was to start across fishing on top of the far shelf with pellet, catch shallow if they wanted it that way, then plunder the 5m meat line and margins.

Chris on p26 had already landed a carp on the method, by the time I finished feeding meat/hemp at 5m, down the margin and across to my right by the island. Starting to my left just toss potting some 4s & 6s with expander on the hook I soon had an F1, followed by another 2 and a couple of roach. But then I couldn’t get a bite for 20mins from either of my island swims.

A switch to feeding caster, with double caster on the hook produced a run of fish before that died as well. During the first hour I managed 10 fish, but only put another 2 fish in the net, during the second hour and as yet no carp. I tried caster shallow, but that proved a waste of time as well.

Whilst the lake wasn’t fishing well I was already falling behind Chris & Ashley Tomkins on p25 who were catching carp, so decided to be positive to get back into the match and started catapulting pellet to the far bank in the hope of drawing some fish into the swims. Steve on the other hand decided to go the other way and started fishing negatively toss potting micros with maggot on the hook, fishing tight to the bare bank.

In the meantime I tried my meat line and margins early without response. In fact my margin line was really difficult to fish due the tree and I didn’t spend too much time fishing it.

The pinging of pellet was having the desired effect with a few fish now showing themselves and I had some F1s on 8mm pellet by continually lifting and dropping. Eventually I my first carp after 3hrs, but after the initial run of fish they became very cagey.

Steve in the meantime had a really good run of carp & F1s from his far line, before they backed off, but the damage was already done and any section pay out was looking very distant. I really needed my short meat line to work. Which it did, catching mostly carp, but I had to wait for bites. I still kept pinging pellet across, but could only catch 1 fish at a time, before they back off again, although I did mug my best fish of the day which had been swimming down the middle of the lake.

Overall a disappointing day, where the first 3hrs cost me. Once I started catching carp I was keeping pace with those around me, but they turned up too late. Well done to Steve who also had a few fish down his margin on worm over dead maggot and won the section, just piping Ashley by 12oz who struggled to catch in the last couple of hours.

Back at the car pack most were saying they overfed. The warm sunny conditions luring us into a false sense of security, but the cold overnight conditions had obviously put the fish down.

1st 154-14 – Frank Donachie – p14
2nd 83-14 – Mark Brennan – p16
3rd 81- 8 – Mark Poppleton – p31
4th 72-12 – Steve Musitano – p29
5th 72- 0 – Ashley Tomkins – p25
6th 67- 0 – Fred Roberts – p34

No comments: