Monday 24 March 2014

23/03/14 - Emerald Pools - Sapphire

Weight - 31lb 8oz
Catch - 17 Carp, 15 Roach, 5 Rudd, 1 Skimmer, 1 Hybrid, 1 Tench
Weather - Mostly, occasional shower. Strong NW breeze
Match - Avon Angling Open - 25th out of 30

I didn’t sleep well, worrying about the consequences of the budget and was wide awake by 4am. At least it gave me a chance to start the 2nd series of Game of Thrones on DVD. After the usual good breakfast at Shipham, 30 of us turned up at Emerald with the match split between Sapphire (16 anglers) and Ruby (14 anglers). I really didn’t care where I drew so long as it was out of the strong north westerly wind. Peg 2 meant I would be fishing from the chalets on Sapphire and more importantly I was out the worst of the wind. 

I’m not going to go into too much detail about how my match went, because I fished a bad match. Admittedly it wasn’t helped by an increasingly bad headache where I felt like throwing up towards the end because I felt so tired. That aside I couldn’t get into any rhythm.

Starting short I had a run of silvers and a couple of carp on 4mm expander, before that died. Fishing towards the island which I hoped would be my banker, however there wasn’t any shallower water and if I got too tight to the reeds there was some underwater obstruction to get hooked on.

I did manage a few fish on pellet by the reeds, but also lost quite a few when they dropped off shipping back. I eventually managed to get a run of  carp by fishing pellet shallow, but in all honesty my swim was worth a lot more than I produced. I was just glad to get home and get my head down

1st 87-12 - Gordon Cannings - p14 (sapphire)
2nd 86-11 - Bela Bakos - p4 (sapphire)
3rd 85-10 - Tom Thick - p3 (sapphire)
4th 80- 8 - Matt Tomes - p28 (ruby)
5th 78- 4 - Dom Sullivan - p20 (ruby)
6th 76- 4 - Craig Edmunds - p19 (ruby)

Silvers
1st 16- 1 - John Bradford - p17 (ruby)
2nd 14- 4 - Steve Seagar - p11 (sapphire)
3rd 13-13 - Clive Feddery - p10 (sapphire)


No comments: