Monday 10 February 2014

09/02/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 27lb 3oz (11lb 7oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 8 Perch, 3 Skimmers
Weather - Wet & windy
Match - 10th out of 35, section win

Last week I had a bit of whinge about the pegging on Spring Lake at Viaduct and the fact I thought pegs 8 & 9 had been reversed for the 2nd round. Apparently they hadn’t, it was just who ever completed the weigh sheet didn’t input the correct names, so changed the peg numbers instead.

Today was the penultimate round of the Winter League and I really needed a good draw on Match Lake to maintain my 3rd place in the league, avoiding the bottom 4 pegs (1, 3, 22 & 24) particular with the wind and rain blowing down that end. As the draw progressed most of the better pegs were going, except for p15, which fortunately I picked, leaving p3 for Aaron who was still tucked up in bed!

As I woke up to the wind and rain lashing against the window, I did wonder why “I’m going fishing?” I had considered going yesterday, but didn’t, because I’m fed up with the continuous storms, although I’m thankful my house isn’t under 2ft of water like many on the Somerset levels and the political blame game is now in full swing.

At least today I was sheltered from the worst of the weather and was even able to put up the umbrella. By the all in I was running a little behind (one of the joys of running a league, then getting to your peg and realizing you have left something in the car) and was 10mins late starting. For company I had Adrian Clarke on p13 and Mark Brennan on p17, with my section running 15-24.

Since I last fished this peg the right hand bush has been trimmed back and Mike has tried to remove as much as possible, which meant it wasn’t quite the fish magnet it used to be, as illustrated by the photo. It also illustrates was a lovely day it was!

Rigs for today:-
- HB frostie 0.2g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet – far bank
- HB chump 0.4g > .12 & .10 > 18 silverfish pellet – down the track
- Ackoo carbon carrat 0.3g > .12 > 16 B911 – double caster/pellet
- Ackoo carrat 0.3g > .14 > 14 B911 – prawns

After feeding some caster left & right down the margins and then some pellet at 14m to my right, I started to my left towards the island. When I was plumbing around I bumped into a carp mid depth, so after lifting and dropping with double maggot I was attached to a carp, which was quickly followed by a perch, then another carp, which was a relief.

I was hoping by catapulting caster across I would draw in a few more fish, but after 45mins no further fish followed. A quick look over my pellet line didn’t produce, so this was topped up. In the meantime Adrian was foul hooking fish, losing most of them under his platform, whilst Mark had a few F1s and skimmers, but generally it was fishing very hard. The heavy overnight rain was obviously having an effect.

Fishing left and right in the margins I managed a few perch, catching 2 on prawn and the remainder on double caster. The pellet line produced 3 skimmers & a carp on 4mm expander. I did set up another pellet swim, but only had 1 lost foulhooker.

I had hoped my long swim towards the island would produce late on. After struggling to catch over caster, I switched to feeding 4s, but nothing happened. Adrian in the meantime managed 4 late carp to win his section fishing mid depth about 3m off the point of the island where there was more ripple as the wind funnelled though a gap in the trees. My gut feeling was I may have been too aggressive feeding this swim in an attempt to draw some fish into the peg.


Throughout the match I had been trickling pellet & meat in front of the bush, but this didn't yield anything.

Doing the weigh in it became obvious the carp simply didn’t feed on our lake, with most struggling to catch. So another section win which plants me in 3rd place with 1 round to go.

1st 89- 5 - Craig Edmunds - p33
2nd 88- 7 - Mark Poppleton - p36
3rd 69- 0 - Paul Elmes - p42
4th 60-10 - Martin Lenaghan - p58
5th 59-15 - Nick Duckett - p50
6th 39- 0 - Adrian Clarke - p13

Silvers
1st 17- 0 - Mark Brennan - p17
2nd 15-11 - John Bradford - p32
3rd 14- 3 - Darren Fordham - p70
4th 14- 0 - Tom Mangnall - p7
5th 13-14 - Bob Gullick - p40
6th 11- 7 - Ken Rayner - p15


No comments: