Monday 3 February 2014

02/02/14 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 4lb 12oz
Catch - 59 Roach, 2 Skimmers, 1 Rudd, 1 Perch
Weather - Bright & sunny
Match - Winter League rd 2 - 15th out of 19 - section

Last week at Lands End I ended up climbing a tree to rescue an Owl than had become tangled in some line. God knows how the angler concerned managed to cast that high into the tree with his 1oz lead and leadcore! But rather than retrieve it, he left it for the unfortunate owl to become entangled in, damaging his wing. The good news however is the owl is now recovering at the local owl sanctuary and should make a full recovery.

And now for a bit of a whinge. During the first round, our team draw put me on peg 9 on spring. I did notice on the weigh sheet pegs 8 & 9 had been swapped around, but thought this was to even up the team draw. Looking at the weigh sheet this round the pegs were put back to what I would have expected! Which means I should have been on p8 – not happy, because you shouldn’t change the pegging like that, but I can’t do anything about it now.

It had been agreed we would all take turns to do the team draw and today was my turn. Team draw 18 wasn’t what I wanted, because it put me on 131, which is notoriously poor area in the winter. As for the rest of the team, Rich Wyatt was 100, which had 14pts last round, Martin Fisher was on 70 which fished well last round, but generally not a good area, Fred Roberts had 51 which isn’t good and Mike was on 25. So all in all not a great draw, with Rich having the best of the bunch.

The weather was fine and sunny today, before the next Atlantic low pressure moves in, but at least it gave me options Since my peg is so poor I had 2 choices, either sit it out for 1 pull round on the tip or try and have a days fishing catching what I can. 

2 wagglers were set up, the first to fish on the deck and the second to fish on the drop. 2 lead rods were already made up, but the meat rig only got 15mins. I also set up a jolly 4x14 to fish at 13-14m to be fished over groundbait.

Since the wind was favorable I was able to catapult caster a reasonable distance and soon started catching small roach on maggot. During the first hour, Tom Thick on 132 had 2 carp on the waggler cast to the end bank and p110 opposite also had a couple of carp. Other than that no-one at this end of the lake, including Andy Power on 129 had a carp, so was happy to continue fishing the waggler and hope some bigger fish would move in later.

A couple of spells on the pole, produced even smaller roach, so I spent the majority of time on the waggler, swapping to the on the drop rig & caster which produced a few better roach, but reverted back to fishing on the desk feeding slightly heavier, less often, which produced better bites and I did have a pound skimmer, soon followed by a 6oz one. Unfortunately no more followed and it back to catching roach.

By the all out other than 110 & 132, no one had a carp in my area, so I felt justified fishing the way I did, just really hope for a few fish on Cary on 2 weeks. As for the team, it was a bit of disaster. Rich only managed 8pts, Martin had a mare with only 1pt, Fred got what he expected with 8pts and Mike did the best with 11pts.

No comments: