Monday 30 September 2013

29/09/13 - Lands End - Match Lake


Weight - 36lb 12oz
Catch - 8 Carp, 3 Roach, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Mostly sunny
Match - Open - 9th out of 15
 
Only 15 turned up for today’s match run by Trigger due to Tony being somewhere in Wales on his holidays. So he had 10 anglers on Match and 5 on Specimen. Looking at Saturdays weigh sheet, it looked like the fish were still spread around, although the top half of the lake seemed to be favourite.
 
P23 wasn’t what I wanted. It really is a horrible peg if you need to catch shallow against the island which is 16-17m away and the end bank into p24 was also 17m. The water level is still down by a foot or so and based on my experience 2 weeks ago the fish could prove difficult to catch.
 
And this is how is turned out. I set up 5 rigs, 2 shallow for pellet/meat and caster, a meat rig, a light pellet/corn rig and a skimmer rig.
 
I started off cupping in caster by the island and had a carp within 10mins on double caster, but couldn’t get another bite. It didn’t matter what I fed or how I fed it by the island, pellet, corn, meat, big bunch of dead maggot, but couldn’t get a run of fish together.
 
Towards the end bank I fed meat and had 3 carp reasonably quickly, but then couldnt get another and to be honest it was a long way to go so I soon discarded that.
 
As for fishing on the deck, I only had a small skimmer and a small carp on expander. I kept feeding a meat line and caught a decent skimmer, but no carp. Towards the end of the match I was feeding 6s, 2 pouches at a time towards the end bank at the bottom of the shelf and caught 2 quick carp before the end.
 
In hindsight, I should have learnt the lesson from my last match here and not spent so much time chasing fish on the island. I should have focused on the deck and made it work, having said that Kev Molton on p21 tried that and with an hour to go only had 2 fish, but landed 7 in the last hour.
 
Scott Puddy opposite on p1 was plagued by foul hookers when he fished by the island, but still managed to land a few fish. The bulk of his catch was made of meat caught fish by the right hand tree.
 
Overall a little frustrating and I think some extra water is needed. Someone mentioned low oxygen levels is why the silvers aren’t feeding, but I don’t believe that’s the case because Mike has his aerators on overnight. Personally I think the weather and in particular the air pressure has been so up and down the fish don’t know whether they are coming or going.
 
1st 155-13 - Craig Edmunds - p25
2nd 131- 3 - Paul Elmes - p17
3rd 116-14 - Scott Puddy - p1
4th 102- 0 - Mike Nicholls - p11
5th 87- 7 - Simon R - p19
6th 85- 3 - Gordon Cannings - p5
 
Silvers
1st 21- 1 - Craig Edmunds - p25
2nd 18-12 - Clint Wotlyla - p29
3rd 18- 7 - John Bradford - p13
4th 13- 7 - Gordon Cannings - p5

No comments: