Monday 22 July 2013

21/07/13 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 66lb 13oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 7 Skimmers, 3 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Hot & sunny, NE breeze
Match - Wests Open - 8th out of 19 (4th out of 10 - section)

On Saturday I took my god son Ross fishing, who wanted to catch his first tench. Since I had a couple at Brinsham Green a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good place to try. After setting him up with some of my kit he caught a few skimmers and a tench about 12oz, needless to say he was more than happy and another item off the fishing wish list. Whilst helping him I managed 22-12 of skimmers, tench, fantails/crucians on a day when the fishing proved tricky to catch in the hot conditions.

Back to todays match and after my last couple of visits to Viaduct I was looking forward to a few fish and drew the same peg I had last time on Campbell, p128. At the moment either end of the lake seemed to be best, but I fancied mine for few and hoped to catch shallow.

My day didn’t go quite according to plan as I really struggled, so no long winded blog today

I started a couple of metres off the spit, toss potting 8mm cubes of meat with meat on the hook and had a carp straight away, but then I was pestered by small silvers forcing me to change tact. My 5m line had been fed with 6s, but this only produced little nips on the pellet so the small fish tried to stuff a 6mm pellet in their gobs.

In the meantime I had kept feeding the long shallow line, but couldn’t get a bite, so after much thrashing of the water and swinging of the rig I still only had 1 carp and few silvers. Another go on the meat produced a couple of fish, but after 3hrs I was only up to 3 carp and going nowhere fast.

By now there was a few fish starting show after what appeared to be a slow start for everyone. Mark on p112 seemed to catching best, fishing shallow, but I simply could get my shallow line to work and was struggling to understand why.

In an effort to put something in the net I fed a pot of 6s, fishing worm over the top. At last I started to catch a few, but it was slow going and the fish generally were a smaller stamp. I did manage a couple of fish shallow, but was left perplexed as to why I couldn’t catch properly. The fish were there, the rig I was using is one I’ve caught a lot of fish on recently, but today it just didn’t happen. 

The worm over pellet was a life saver, so I at least I had a few fish to weigh, but a disappointing as well as frustrating day. Oh well back again next Saturday and hopefully catch a few this time.

1st 201- 9 - Mark Poppleton - p112 (shallow pellet)
2nd 185- 0 - Nick Merry - p119 (shallow caster)
3rd 131- 9 - Steve Musitano - p115
4th 125-13 - Steve Ince - p 124 (shallow pellet)
5th 115-10 - Lewis Fisher (10 years old!) - p132 (5m)
6th 115- 8 - Tim Martin - p111

No comments: