Friday 5 July 2013

04/07/13 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 42lb 8oz
Catch - 12 Carp
Weather - Sunny, strong westerly
Match - Wiltshire Angling Evening Series - 6th out of 10

A fellow blogger stated that Rood Ashton has been destocked, which upset the owner and Allan Pike the owner’s son has commented on his blog, confirming there has been no destocking. In fact the only fish removed were about 30-35 carp which replaced fish lost from the stock pond damaged during the floods last year. As bloggers I think we need to be careful about what we say, particularly when it can effect peoples livelihoods.

The expectations for tonight’s match were high. Last week, Mark won a Friday evening match with 112lb and 108lb was 2nd. At the draw there were 10 of us, but only 9 pegs. Fortunately, the error was noticed quite quickly and an extra peg was put in on the top bank, which would be peg 6 and I drew it.

The peg itself has had some recent form, however I didn’t fancy it this evening. The problem was there was a strong breeze blowing directly from behind into the opposite end of the lake and my gut feeling would be the fish will have followed the wind, particularly since the wind has been blowing that way for a nearly a week.

Only 2 rigs, 1x paste – HB Redneck 0.2g > .17 > 12 carp feeder & a pellet rig, but I never used that.

Those that have caught well from this peg have caught in the margins and looking at the peg it was obvious to see why. I made the decision to rotate each margin, feeding a small handful of 6s. After 20mins I lost a foulhooker coming back with a scale, then 5mins later I missed a bite, which could have been a liner, but that was it.

The only anglers I could see were on the lawns and they didn’t appear to be catching much, so decided to keep going in the margins, hoping to pull in a few fish by continually feeding 6s. After 75mins I caught my first fish and by the end of the second hour was up to 4. At last there seemed to be some fish around and a bank walker said that most were struggling.

A further 5 carp came in the third hour and 3 in the last 30mins, so 12 fish in the end. It looked like Mark would win catching 20+ carp, but the rest of my section were admitting to 12 carp, which meant it was going to come down to who had the biggest average. Unfortunately I had a couple of smaller fish, whilst Ian had some proper lumps to finish 2nd in the section.

During that blank first hour I wish I had brought my pellet waggler rod to fish towards the island, because I felt I could catch a few shallow fish in the ripple. In the end 12 fish seemed to be par, just a shame I couldn’t catch a few better fish or even catch in that first hour.

1st 71-14 – Mark Poppleton – p10
2nd 58-10 – Ian Willetts – p7
3rd 54-13 – Pete Neate – p5
4th 45- 8 – Tony Gilbert – p2
5th 45- 2 - Stuart White – p7
6th 42- 8 – Ken Rayner – p6

No comments: