Saturday 25 May 2013

23/05/13 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 33lb 0oz
Catch - 12 Carp, 4 Roach
Weather - Cold & blustery
Match - Wiltshire Angling Evening Series - rd 3 - 4th out of 9

Its Thursday evening the weather has turned from what was reasonably warm to a cold, blustery day. So back on with 2 fleeces! When will it warm up properly, since we are long overdue?
 
9 eventually turned for the 5pm draw and I found myself in the far corner of the lake. It’s not normally a peg that produces during the day, probably because the prevailing SW winds usually blows out towards the opposite corner. Today however a cold northerly was blowing into the bank and I was uncertain how it would fish. Mark suggested that fishing the right hand margin is usually best in this peg rather than fishing under trees to my left, but to be honest the trees looked to tempting.
 
Only 3 rigs for today.
- Ackoo Powertrap 0.3g > .16 > 16 B911 – to fish meat
- Big H paste > .17 > 12 feeder carp – to fish paste
- Ackoo Powertrap 0.3g > .16 > 16 B911 – to fish meat in the shallower parts of the swim, but only had 1 fish on this rig.
 
On the 6pm start I cupped some meat & hemp at 13m along the tree line and another small cup went in along the right hand margin at the bottom of the shelf. Starting at 13m, I didn’t have a bite, which is always concern. After 15mins I started feeding a small handful of meat & hemp into the corner, where it was a foot deeper and hoped the fish would prefer the deeper water.
 
A switch to the paste rig into the corner produced my first fish and after an hour I was up to 3 fish. I’ve started experimenting with meat paste, because I used to use it quite a bit a few years ago and felt it would give the fish a different option. Today however with the cold wind the fish didn’t really want to know, because I had to wait a while for a bite, although the fish caught on paste were a better stamp than those on meat.
 
The second hour saw me land a further 5 carp, as well as losing a couple of foul hookers, before adding a further 4 in the last hour. I had tried 8mm cubes, but realised probably 20-30mins too late that a single 6mm cube produced a quicker bite. I had kept the right hand margin topped up, but I could only catch roach so obviously there wasn’t much in the way of many carp in the area.
 
Must admit I was glad when the match finished because it got quite chilly and the temperature in the car went down to 5.5c on the way home. 
 
Although I finished 4th in the match, I managed to pick up the section by de-fault after Stu White won the match, fishing 6mm cubes of meat in the sheltered part of the lake.
 
1st 90-14 – Stu White – p9
2nd 90-12  - Tony Gilbert – p2
3rd 68- 0 – Jon Atkins – p5
4th 33- 0 – Ken Rayner – p6
4th 33- 0 – Ian Willetts – p8
6th 32- 8 – Mark Poppleton – p1

No comments: