Tuesday 2 April 2013

31/03/13 - Acorns - Paddock

Weight - 18lb 12oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 1 F1
Weather - Frozen overnight. Sunny, but cold easterly wind
Match - Pole Only Series rd 2 - 18th out of 32, 8th out of 8 section

After yesterdays match I was feeling confident, with a clear idea of how I would attack the match. However fishing has a habit of kicking you were it hurts sometimes.

Today was another free draw, but would dictate the rotation for the next 3 rounds with C section (pegs 12-22) in 2 weeks.

When we arrived the lakes were frozen, which tempered my initial excitement of drawing peg 6, the form peg in recent matches. As I was clearing the ice, the wind was blowing more into my peg and I spent as long as I could with the help from Chris Fox (cheers mate) clearing as much as I could from my peg.

For company I had Chris on peg 7 and Bob Gullick on p40. I started fishing tight to the bridge, but the wind was proving troublesome blowing right across me and both Chris & I swore a couple of times as we tried to control our rigs.

Fortunately I had a couple of carp on maggot and as yet hadn't fed anything. Bob in the meantime was able to control his rig more easily, since my side of the bridge resembled the north sea and Bobs was a mill pond.

The wind did ease a little later in the match, but what killed my match (as well as Chris's) was another sheet ice which had been covering peg 5 drifted into my peg, so I was off my box again clearing more ice. The wind also caused a strong undertow and the melting ice water ran though the peg.

I did try to catch close to the island, but only had an F1, which meant all my carp came from the bridge. I didn't fed much and too be honest I wasn't sure whether feeding was actually benefiting me, since all the fish caught were away from the feed.

To be honest I was gutted come the weigh in, to drew a flyer, but only for the weather to defeat me. I caught more carp than most, but they were a smaller stamp.

1st 65- 4 - Pete Bartlett - p8
2nd 52-12 - Paul Faires - A4 (top lake)
3rd 39-10 - Tom Thick - A2
4th 39- 4 - Bela Bakos - A5
5th 38- 7 - Bob Gullick - p40
6th 36-14 - Eddie Wynne - A8

Silvers
1st 37- 2 - Tom Thick - A2
2nd 36- 4 - Glenn Bailey - A3
3rd 20-10 - Andy France - A1
4th 10-12 - Mark Broomsgrove - p16
5th 9-12 - Russ Peck - p9

No comments: