Monday 29 April 2013

28/04/13 - Acorns - Paddock

Weight - 20lb 14oz
Catch - 11 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 1 Crucian, 1 Rudd, 1 Perch
Weather - Sunny start, cool & windy later
Match - Pole Only series - 4th round

The 4th round of this well run league meant I was on D section, pegs 23-38, with 36 & 38 being the favoured pegs since they came 2nd & 3rd in yesterdays match. The question for our section would Bob “bridge troll” Gullick draw another bridge peg? Well I drew 33 and Pete Bartlett had 34, so Bob had to do with 23.

I was quite happy with my draw, there was a few a fish moving around and the signs were for a good day, although the forecast for increasing winds proved to be correct and it was quite chilly - back on with the extra fleece.

To be honest my match was quite forgettable. Initially targeted the far side fishing shallow with 6 or 8mm pellet, catapulting 6s, the problem was the fish were quite small and I wasn’t catching them quickly enough. I think had the sun stayed out the fish would have been happier in the shallow water, but with the wind & increasing cloud cover the fish backed off. Fishing meat by the bridge, only produced silly bites from small fish, so I going nowhere fast.

By the half way mark Pete, Bob & Brian Slipper (p30) had caught a few better fish and I expected Chris Fox (p38) & Gordon Canning (p36) to have caught as well. So I decided to target some silvers, since I hadn't seen many being caught. I had been feeding caster to the p32 pallet which has done me well in recent matches but nothing, not even on maggot. I had also been feeding a small amount of groundbait and pellet down the track, which didn’t produce either.

Eventually I managed a few skimmers down the track on 4mm expander and a couple of carp turned up over my caster. Targeting the silvers was the right idea, because Chris won the sections silvers with only 4-8, mostly thanks to a big tench, but I just couldn’t get a run of bites together. By concentrating on the silvers, meant I slipped down the section.

In hindsight, I was trying to do too much in the first half the match and ended up confusing myself, when I should have just focused on doing one thing or the other. To be honest I will be glad to see the back of this league, because it just hasn’t gone my way at all. Lets hope for a decent last 2 matches.

1st 104- 8 - Joe Mcmahon - p40
2nd 102-10 - Mike Nicholls - p9
3rd 68- 8 - Tom Thick - p12
4th 60- 6 - Matt Tomes - p4 top lake
5th 57-14 - Lance Tucker - p4
6th 54-13 - Andy France - p13

Silvers
1st 34- 6 - Mark Broomsgrove - p3 top lake
2nd 24- 6 - Paul Casson - p5 top lake
3rd 22- 2 - Glenn Calvert - p8 top lake
4th 21- 7 - Dave Wride - p2 top lake
5th 16- 4 - John Bradford - p6
6th 14- 7 - Tony Rixon - p1 top lake

No comments: