Monday 7 January 2013

06/01/13 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 24lb 11oz (4lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 3 Skimmers
Weather - Cloudy, mild & calm
Match - Winter League rd 3 - 21st out of 35 (6th out of 12 - section, 2nd in section for silvers)

It was my turn for Speci Lake and I was happy enough with p26. For company I had Mike Duckett opposite on p40, Tom Thick to my left on p25 and Dale Howsen on p28.

4 swims were targeted. The point of the island which is 17m away, 14.5m just off the point of the island, 14.5m to my right and 6m. Caster was deposited by the island and at 6m, with pellet over the 14.5m lines, toss potting 3s towards the island and loose feeding 4s to my right.

Starting by the island I didn’t have a bite on either maggot or caster, which was a worry. In fact everyone was biteless until Tom landed an F1 after 15mins, quickly followed another and then a carp.

After 45mins I finally hooked a carp at 14.5m on soft pellet, but lost it on an underwater snag! (my luck really has to change soon!) 15mins later I was attached to another which was duly landed. The rest of the match was a real struggle, even Tom was finding it tough going and Mike landed his first fish after 3hrs.

The island swim failed to produce, as did the 6m line, which I had kept fed all match. (speaking Tom Mangnall after the match he said the same thing, yet yesterday he caught plenty from this line). Dale threw in the towel after 3hrs landing only 1 roach. When he left I had the p27 platform to myself and cupped in some caster and soon netted a near 10lber on double maggot, but no more fish came from here. Ideally I would have liked to have kept the swim topped up by catapulting caster/pellet, but overhanging branches meant it was too problematic.

The 14.5m swim towards the point of the island produced another carp and I bumped a skimmer. I had periodically tried my right hand swim were I had kept pinging 4s and in the last hour I was rewarded with 3 skimmers, which was enough to finish 2nd on the lake for silvers, just beating Toms 3 F1s, which at least keeps me in with a shout of the silvers league, although I am completely out of it for the main league.

A really tough day, in fact all the lakes fished harder than expected, but fair shout to Mark Poppleton who can seem to do no wrong at the moment, winning the lake and the match from unfancied p29 with 7 big carp.

1st 73- 2 Mark Poppleton - p29
2nd 70- 2 Paul Homewood - p34
3rd 53-15 Paul Elmes - p36
4th 47- 1 Tony Rixon - p68
5th 43- 7 Craig Edmunds - p46
6th 42- 7 Tom Thick - p25

Silvers
1st 19- 3 Tom Mangnall - p31
2nd 14- 7 Aaron Britnell - p41
3rd 14- 6 Pete Nurse - p11

No comments: