Monday 10 December 2012

09/12/12 - Lands End - Johns

Weight - 19lb 14oz (1lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 32 Roach, 3 Perch, 2 Carp
Weather - Mostly sunny, but strong cold westerly wind
Match - Lands End Winter League rd2 - 20th out of 35, 8th out of 12 section

Tom Thick is obviously a desparate young man. Following a pint of cider for breakfast, he decided it would be a good idea to try and bend me over the counter - if you know what I mean. Alas, I didnt feel a thing;¬)

It was my turn for Johns Lake and I had a gut feeling that following a crap week at work, I would be rewarded with a crap draw today. There was only 2 pegs left in the bucket. Mike West pulled 42 (flyer), whilst I was left with what is one of the worst pegs on the lake at the moment, peg 51 (just 15 in reverse). During round 1 Matt Tomes only managed 10th and Mark Poppleton the week previous hardly had a bite, so I was really looking forward to this!

I couldnt see me doing any good from the peg, but I hoped to at least catch a few silvers to keep me in the hunt in the silvers league and as such set up a jolly 4x12 with .08 bottom and 22 silverfish maggot hook. 2 more rigs were set up with .10 bottoms to fish either maggot or pellet.

On the all in a nugget of black roach and pinkie was cupped in to my left at 8m and a pinch of micros at 11.5m towards the point of the island. Starting by the island I had a roach on double pinkie, followed by a further 9 in 20mins. The problem was some of the roach were nearly transparent they were that small.

A quick look over the pellet, resulted in a lost foul hooked carp and the groundbait swim produced only a couple of tiny roach. Since the only area I could catch was next to the island, i stuck with the small roach feeding pinkie via a toss pot, hoping the activity would pull in some better fish. After 2hrs I was up to 30 fish, but the wind had really picked up making presentation difficult which meant I had to abandon fishing against the island.

Fishing over the pellet (which I had kept topped up) only more micro roach. There really wasnt any decent fish in the swim. Ray Bazeley to my right on 50 was also struggling and chucked the lead and maggot into the gap between the island. I followed suit half way into the match, but with hair rigged corn and 10mins later I was attached to a large carp which weighed 10-15.

A change to heavier 0.4g chump to fish down the middle, improved the presentation, but still could only catch micro roach. I had also been flicking caster/maggot down my left hand margin, but no bites on any bait. So the remainder of the match was spent swapping between swims, including setting up a new one down the track or fishing the lead into the gap, where I snared another carp again on corn.

A disappointing result, but I dont think I could have done any better from the peg. Ray only weighed 8lb, made up 1 carp and a few bits, so there was very few fish in the area.

1st 63-11 - Nick Merry - p40
2nd 61- 5 - Allan Oram - p32
3rd 54-13 - Mike Nicholls - p21
4th 52-11 - Clint Wotlyla - p31
5th 45-15 - Steve Seagar - p19
6th 44- 3 - Adrain Jeffrey - p5

Silvers
1st 18- 2 - Nick Merry - p40
2nd 13- 5 - Tony Rixon - p3
3rd 10-10 - Aaron Britnell - p11

After 2 rounds Mark Poppleton is leading the way with only 2pts, followed by Mike Duckett, Nick Merry, Aaron Britnell and Steve Seagar all on 6pts

1 comment:

Tim Ford said...

I've had 50 or 51 in the winter, think I had 1 bite 1 carp. So you did a lot better than me!