Friday 18 May 2012

17/05/12 - Acorn - Paddock

Weight - 92lb 5oz
Catch - 30 Carp, 10 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 1 Goldfish, 1 Tench, 1 Crucian
Weather - Mostly cloudy, cool easterly breeze
Water Temp - 18.8c - 19.6c

With an exam on Monday (my 3rd attempt!) I had today and Friday off work for revision. However its the 5th round of the pole only series on Sunday and I wanted to have a practice before Sunday, but couldn't afford the time to fish a match. So I managed a short (4.5hrs) afternoon/evening session on Paddock Lake, fishing peg 18 on the main straight.

Its easy to see why Acorns is becoming so popular, with well maintained lakes, as well as easy access to your peg and parking right behind your peg certainly saved time.

Originally, I wanted to target the skimmers, because the way my league has gone, silvers may be my best chance of picking up in the overall league.

I started fishing down the track on 4mm expander, feeding soften 4s. However after 90mins the carp started to move in and the skimmers where few and far between. With so many carp in the swim decided to set up a shallow rig with hair rigged 8s, feeding 6s across.

I caught consistently for next couple of hours, including a few more carp from the right hand margin. I did go back to my "silvers" line but 2 carp in 2 put ins and that line was binned.

The session didn't pan out as expected, but enjoyable none the less.

No comments: