Monday 7 May 2012

06/05/12 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight – 62lb 7oz (14lb 12oz – silvers)
Catch – 8 Bream, 7 Carp, 2 Tench
Weather – Mostly sunny. Cool easterly breeze.
Match – Avon Angling – Float Only Series – rd1 – 24th out of 40 (4 out of 5 – section)
Today was the 1st round of Tony Rixon's Float Only series. I had decided to fish the series, even though the 2nd round clashed with the last round of the Paul Frairs Pole only series and I will only miss the 2nd round if I’m in with a chance of an overall payout from the pole series, which is a possibility, but I can’t afford any more slip ups.
Viaduct is one of those venues which I have struggled to get to grips with, mainly because I don’t fish it that often, which I do intend to rectify this year, because I never fish here with any confidence. Today was very much a case of not understanding the venue, however this was one of the reasons why I wanted to fish the series.
Peg 126 was an excellent draw, having won a mid-week match with over 200lb, but last night was cold and I wasn’t sure how the fish would respond. Also I had venue regulars in my sections with Anton Page on 125 and Dick Bull on 128. Regardless, I decided to approach the match with a positive frame of mind, taking only meat and various size pellets. Also since this seemed to be a carp area, decided against setting up any silvers rigs.
I started at 13m fishing on the deck with 8mm pellet, feeding 6s and after the 1st hour had a couple of tench and a carp. However the next couple of hours is where I got it wrong.

Anton had started to catch shallow, whilst I decided to stick with fishing on the deck, confident the fish would come, reasoning that I could catch shallow on the waggler further out where I had been feeding 8s, also I been feeding meat short for later.
Unfortunately for whatever reason I had my stubborn head on and by the time I decided I was fed up of watching Anton catching shallow, the wind dropped and the ripple disappeared. I did manage 1 carp shallow, but left it far too late. I also had 1 carp on the pellet waggler, but the real surprise was the lack of action over the short meat line were I only had 1 skimmer. The fish really didn’t want to feed on the deck, which was a common comment post match.

By the end I could have kicked myself, because I knew what I did wrong, but was far too slow to response in the mistaken believe I would catch on the deck. If it hadn’t been for the match I had at Gold Valley on Friday I would tried to get in on one of the mid-week matches, which on today’s evidence I could have benefitted from.

In the end Anton weighed 152lb to win the section but what was really annoying was the fact only 69lb was needed to claim 2nd in section and a section pick up by de-fault. I only have myself to blame. Never mind there is always next week.

1st 159-12 – Tom Magnoll – p98
2nd 153-13 – Shaun Townsend – p123
3rd 152-15 – Anton Page – p125
4th 146-13 – Clayton Hudson – p85
5th 126- 8 – Gary Etheridge – p114
6th 117-14 – Craig Edmunds – p110

Silvers
1st 73-14 – Nigel Bartlett – p80
2nd 53- 3 – Tom Thick – p81
3rd 20- 6 – Shaun Townsend – p123

No comments: