Thursday 26 April 2012

25/04/12 - Gold Valley - Gold Lake

Weight – 48lb 4oz (22lb 10oz silvers)
Catch – 7 Bream, 5 Carp, 4 Roach, 3 Perch, 2 Hybrid, 1 Rudd
Weather – Rain, rain, rain as well as a bit of wind!
Water Temp – 14.3c – 14.7c
Match – Match Fishing Scene – 4th out of 17 overall

More traveling this time to Gold Valley in Aldershot. I had heard many stories and comments about the place, ranging from it’s a great a fishery, to its too peggy, as well as the rather strict rules on bank walkers and no peeing on the bank.

The reason for today’s visit was to practice for the Garbolino Club Angler southern regional qualifier on 4 May. On the drive down I was beginning to wonder whether it was worth the effort, with the wind and rain lashing down together with the heavy traffic. On arrival, the club house overlooks Gold Lake and I recognized some of the famous pegs you see in the magazines. The venue won’t win any awards for the best looking fishery, but it is well maintained with concrete platforms and a hardcore path around the lakes.

Today’s match was run under the MFS website banner, which included a number of locals, so it would give me a good idea of how it could fish. Gold Lake is roughly rectangular and fortunately we were pegged along the canal bank, which meant we were mostly sheltered from the worst of the wind, so umbrellas could be put up, which I was quite pleased about.

I drew peg 26 at the far windward end of the lake and on the day was 3rd from the end. Must admit I was a little disappointed, because I fancied a lower number closer to the clubhouse where the wind was blowing in.

With no one on the far bank, I expected the carp to back away to the other side of the central rope, however I started on a customized pellet feeder with hair rigged 8mm pellet cast just short of the rope. After 90mins I had 4 carp and leading our section, but a further 3 casts without a bite and I got bored (unless the tip keeps going round I get easily bored) so switched to the pole.

From the start I had been potting caster & 2mm pellet at 13m every 20mins. I knew there were some big skimmers around so decided to be really positive to try and catch them. Unfortunately the first 30mins was very frustrating with bumped fish, tangles and not getting the presentation right. Eventually, I got it sorted and started to catch big skimmers up to 3lb on double caster, plus my best carp on the day of nearly 7lb. Everytime I got a roach or perch I dumped another pot of food.

I had also been feeding 8mm meat at 7m. But, again more bumped fish or they coming off after a few seconds was frustrating, although I did manage a big 3lb hybrid, plus a few smaller skimmers. I also lost an 8-9lb carp at the net, but I shouldn’t complain too much because it was foul hooked it the rear end.

Herbie who was pegged to my left and spend most of the day on the lead and occasionally the pellet waggler fishing at 30m had with 90mins to go about 3 carp, however by continually feeding 8s he managed to pull in a few late carp to pip me by 3lb. It was really useful to see Herbie catch late like that, although I had been feeding the same line I only gave it a couple of casts, but I wanted to see if I could still challenge on the pole.

Pleased with how the match progressed, in hindsight I should have spent more time on the tip during the last hour, however I lost enough fish to challenge 2nd place. Speaking after the match, there were a few lost fish, with them being hooked around the month, so not really feeding properly.

1st 88-12 – Chris N – p2
2nd 69-14 – Ludders – p12
3rd 51- 1 – Herbie – p25
4th 48- 4 – Ken Rayner – p26
5th 45-14 – Pikey – p22
6th 43-10 – Happydangler – p9

No comments: