Saturday 7 April 2012

06/04/12 - Lands End - Speci Lake

Weight – 122lb 1oz (17lb 15oz – silvers)
Catch – 15 Carp, 9 Roach, 4 Bream, 3 Perch, 2 F1, 2 Chub
Weather – Frosty start. Bright, sunny morning, but cloudy & cold afternoon
Water Temp – 12.8c – 13.8c
Match – Cost cutter Open – 1st out of 19 overall (1st out of 9 – lake)
It was a pleasant surprise to see 19 booked in for this Good Friday match, which Tom Thick took charge of. Being a cost cutter, Mark decided to run a £5 super pool as well with the winnings being split evenly between the overall and silverfish winners.

It was decided to put 10 on match lake and 9 on speci, which would mean plenty of room for everyone. I was a little disappointed to drew peg 40, because normally you need to be down the other end of the lake, however reports suggested that the fish were moving around and a few fish had been caught at my end last week.

Not really knowing whether there would be carp or silvers in the peg, decided to start down the right hand bank at 13m on double caster. An hour later, I had 3 carp, a couple of perch and F1 for about 20lb and according to the jungle drums was leading the lake. In the meantime I had been feeding 6mms towards the island at 16m, plus toss potting some 3 & 4mm at the bottom of the shelf 14.5m down the right hand bank.

The 14.5m swim never produced, expect the odd nibble from roach. The 16m swim towards the island, produced 2 good skimmers and another F1 on 4mm expander, whilst my caster swim only produced a couple more fish.

Half way into the match, things had gone a bit tricky, however I had yet to try down my left hand margin by the brambles where I had been regularly feeding 4-5 cubes of meat from the start. 1st put in and I missed a bite. 2nd put in I was attached to the 1st of 10 carp from the edge.

I couldn’t catch more than 3 carp in 1 go, so had to continually rotate with my other swims. The right hand edge didn’t produce anymore, so the only swim producing regular bites was the 16m swim where I had another carp and big skimmer in amongst the roach.

Down the left hand margin, I lost a couple of fish including a proper munter, which must have been 15lb plus, but I got it onto my top kit too quickly and it found another gear and bust me. Meat fishing is new to me and still feel there is room for improvement particularly regarding my rigs, so something for me to work on.

Really pleased to weigh my first ton at Lands End and I can’t remember the last time peg 40 won a match, so doubly pleased.

1st 122- 1 – Ken Rayner – p40
2nd 94- 2 – Mark Wynne – p21
3rd 90- 5 – Steve Seagar – p36
4th 69- 8 – Mark Poppleton – p18
5th 69- 6 – Dan White – p19
6th 68- 9 – Tom Thick – p22
Silvers
1st 35- 6 – Tom Thick – p22
2nd 34-12 – Nigel Bartlett – p11
3rd 28- 8 – Martin Pettifer – p34

No comments: