Friday 15 July 2011

14/07/11 - Rood Ashton

Weight – 25lb 8oz
Catch – 6 Carp
Weather – Sunny & breezy to start. Later calm
Match – Wiltshire Angling Evening Open – 5th out of 9

I thought my luck had changed when I found a spare unused no5 section from my old K47, which fits my current N47, which will save some money on repairs, particularly since I had now broken the section in 2 places.

However, with 9 people booked in, the 1 peg you didn’t want is the “pipe” and that’s exactly where I found myself. The peg really is crap, it’s shallow and set back in a small bay, so I was 6-8m behind Gary Etheridge on the current flyer to my right. Fortunately I keep a pair of wellies in the car, so made the decision to sit in the water, which meant I could more easily fish the 2 corners of the bay. I had also brought 2 pellet waggler's.

After 2hrs and no fish was a serious problem, particularly in a 3.5hr match. Going home was a definite possibility. A quick walk revealed the lake was fishing poorly. Gary had 4 or 5 carp, whilst I saw Mark land his 6th. Steve Martin was in the same boat as me, so I thought I got to keep going, because I wasn’t that far behind.

So far 3pts of 6mms had gone into the margins and 3pts of 8mms had been fed over the waggler, but the fish seemed to have backed off for everyone. I was surprised the waggler didn’t work, but I never had a sign of fish moving, despite there being a breeze, the water in front of me was virtual flat calm.

Since nothing was working, I decided to fish 13m in open water, but negatively only feeding a pouch of pellet at a time and it worked. A 5lber was shortly followed by a PB for this lake of 11-2, however the fish were easily spooked and the margins still didn’t produce.

In the end, I was actually relieved to have caught, but the overall weights were poor and had the fish turned up ½hr earlier I could have framed.

Mark won from his “easy” section and Steve Martin picked up the section by default with 3 fish for 21lb! As for my section, I was sat in the worse peg and had Gary Etheridge and Tony Gilbert to contend with – not a great evening. Mark is talking about getting me a violin, I told him where to shove it.

1st 66-8 Mark Poppleton
2nd 39-12 Pete Neate
3rd 35-0 Gary Etheridge

No comments: