Saturday 4 June 2011

04/06/11 - Fishponds

Weight – 144lb 6oz
Catch – 16 Carp, 1 Eel, 1 Hybrid
Weather – Bright and sunny start. Later rain shower & cloudy. Windy again.

Passed my R01 financial service exam yesterday, which is a relief and to celebrate I thought I would go fishing – like I needed an excuse! The other reason for going was to test some new bits of kit, namely some preston 19h elastic to replace my red hydro. Also some new SconeZone double deez floats for fishing 8mm pellet on the deck and hillbilly rednecks for paste. So nothing complicated.

Following 2 days of very warm weather the likihood was the carp would be back spawning and the thrashing in the reeds on my arrival came as no surprise. The strong wind wasn’t a surprise either. They say this spring has been 1 of the driest on record. How about the 1 of the windiest?

Anyway, I made an early start, because I didn’t sleep well last night, so by 7.30 I had my 1st fish.

Most fish came to paste, but the fish were more interested in other things. Although trying to get a near 2lb into a standard landing net in entertaining, as you get 1 bit in, the other end slithers out.

As for the new bits of kit the elastic was softer than expected, which caused a few anxious moments as 1fish made it under the platform and around 3 scaffold poles, which meant having to feed my top kit under the platform and the I still landed the fish! Just glad no one was watching, because I was in a right mess. As for the floats, the hillbilly rednecks are a brilliant, super strong float, unfortunately the jury still out on the scone double deez floats as my line snapped around the spring eye.

No comments: