Saturday 3 April 2010

02/04/10 - Cuckoo's Rest

Weight – 11lb 12oz
Catch – 70 Roach, 8 Skimmers, 1 Rudd, 1 Perch, 1 Gudgeon
Weather – Rain & wind. Rain later cleared, but still windy
Match – Knock up - 4th overall


Mark asked if I wanted to fish a knock up at Cuckoos Rest today where they expected 10-12 anglers. However come the morning it transpired that no pegs had been booked, there was only 8 of us and we would have a rover match. Not impressed, because there was already 3 pleasure anglers of the lake, 2 of which were on the better pegs.

Personally don't like to rover match, because you tend find everyone crams into the best areas of the lake, which is often counter productive. The main lake at Cuckoos Rest has a centrally island, from which you fish. The best pegs tend to be on the right side of the island, where you cast to the far bank, whilst on the left side the bank opposite is pegged.

I drew 7 from 8, so effectively I had to wait and see were everyone else would go. As expected all the pegs on the right side of the island were taken, I had considered fishing the left side of the island, but the wind was likely to make life difficult. The left bank was sheltered, but options were restricted, because wooded posts meant you couldn't cast beyond halfway. In the end I decided to fish the right hand bank, 2 pegs pegs before the bridge. I would have the wind off my back and I could cast towards the far bank towards a large overhanging tree, which I felt would give me more options, plus it effectively gave me an end peg, although I was closer to the narrower bottom end of the lake.

No one had fished here for a while and some reckoned that 50-60lb would win, whilst others thought 20lb would be enough due the the cold week, so no-one really knew. 6 of us would be targeting the silvers, whilst 2 anglers would target the carp all match on the method feeder cast to the far bank.

At the start I cupped some micro pellet, green swim stim & caster at 13m at 11 o'clock and started feeding caster at 5m. Whilst I let that settle a 20min look on the lead & double corn, produced 1 liner, but nothing else. In fact despite feeding 4mms all match to the far side I never had a bite.

The 13m line produced a few small roach on maggot to start with, but they were small, so a change to caster resulted in fewer bites, but at least on the whole I stopped those tiny roach nipping the bait and if I did manage to hook one, they would drop off when I shipped in.

The problem today was how to top up, I tried using a tosspot and cupping bait, but regardless the fish would disappear for while. Speaking to couple of others after the match this seemed to be problem, which is just as well I had my 5m line to fall back on, because this produced most of my roach up to 12oz.

A decent skimmer from the 13m line was useful, but I could see Mark & Nick at the other end of the lake regularly catching skimmers, plus a couple of proper bream, but no one had a carp yet.

After a couple of hours the rain was really coming down and the wind was getting stronger, so changed from 0.4g jean francios to a 4x18 polar ice which sat better in the tow and I could now see the thicker tip.

A couple of small skimmers followed and I did manage to hook a proper bream, but the hook pulled at the net and at the time I thought it would cost me.

2 new swims at 14.5m in front, fed with 4mms & caster and 13m at 1o'clock dumped a full big pot, but neither really worked. As the match progressed I began to rely more and more on the 5m line. Although I enjoyed catching so many roach, I needed those skimmers to compete.

Mark won the match with 23-14 of mostly skimmers and proper bream on pellet. 2nd was 23-2 from the sheltered left hand bank, again skimmers, roach and a big perch on caster. 3rd was Nick pegged next to Mark with 19-14 skimmers, proper bream and a tench on pellet.

As for those carp, except for 1 which was lost after playing for 45min on the silvers rig, they never showed.

No comments: