Monday 8 March 2010

07/03/10 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 32lb 11oz
Catch – 5 Carp, 3 Perch, 1 Skimmer
Weather – -4c overnight. Sunny, bitter easterly breeze.
Water Temp – 5.0c > 5.0c
Match – Lands End Winter League – rd 6 - 6th overall, 2nd on lake, 1st in section


I feared the worse today, fortunately the lakes didn't ice over, but it was bitterly cold in the wind and I spent most of the day shivering, which wasn't helped by being sheltered from the sun for most of the day.

Today I needed to draw on carp to have a chance of good points, so was pleased with peg 16, however with Martin Pettifer (p18), Bela Bakos (p19), Andy France (p21) it was likely to be a tight section.

Micro pellet & caster was fed at 14.5m, down the track in front of peg 15 and caster at the bottom of the shelf in front. Started straight away under the LH bush with triple maggot and 5 mins later hooked a carp, which I lost at the net when the hooked pulled – bugger. Next put in a 5lber was safely landed. 3rd put-in and lost a foul hooker, which I hit at mid depth. 4th put in hooked another carp, but after getting the carp away from the bush, I only let it get back in there and it broke me – doh!

After an hour, I was wondering if it was going to be 1 of those days after losing 3 carp, particularly since both Martin & Bela had 2 carp a piece.

The rest of the match was quite boring. It was a case of rotating swims and just waiting for bites. At 1 point I thought I would get a few perch from the bottom of the shelf, when I had 3 and a carp in 30min, toss potting 4-6 casters every put in, but action was short lived. The 14.5m swim produced a skimmer and a carp on caster, plus a couple of lost carp, whilst the LH bush produced 2 more carp.

Overall I lost 5 carp, most of which were foul hooked. They just weren't interested in feeding and who can blame them, it was bloody freezing. By the all out I knew I had the section win and thought Anton Page on peg 13 would win the lake with 7 carp, which he did, but only by 14oz.

Martin was feeling a bit distraughtt, losing 2 carp in the last 30 mins losing out on 2nd in section & section by default to Bela by 3.5lb.

As for the league, Nick Collier cant go wrong at the moment winning the match from in-form peg 33 with 64lb. However there was also a few blow outs and I've jumped from 8th to 3rd overall, but with 4 anglers only 1pt behind you cant take anything for granted with 2 matches to go.

1st – Nick Collier 35pts
2nd – Vince Shipp 31
3rd – Ken Rayner 28
4th – Matt Tomes 27 (250-9)
5th – Rod Wootton 27 (202-15)
6th – Dave Hodgson 27 (159-11)
7th – Martin Pettifer 27 (154-12)
8th – Anton Page 25 (203-0)
9th – James Wither 25 (160-11)

No comments: