Monday 8 March 2010

06/03/10 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 25lb 1oz (21lb 1oz - silvers)
Catch – 14 Roach, 11 Perch, 6 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Carp
Weather – Bright start, cloudy periods
Water Temp – 5.5c > 5.5c
Match – Open 8th overall, 1st Silvers

When will this cold weather end? According to the metoffice this winter has been the coldest for 31 years and reviewing my blog from this time last year the water temperature was 9-10c, so its about time winter released its grip.

Today there was 12 of us on Match Lake, but I wasnt happy with peg 24. This end of the lake has been awful recently and I suspected Matt Tomes would be taking my pound after he drew peg 13.

Because there has been so few carp caught in the area, I decided to try and enjoy my day and target the silvers. So micro pellet & caster was deposited 11'o clock at 14.5m and I started down the edge towards the tree stump on caster, toss potting caster and was soon catching perch. After ½ hour a switch to the open water swim, didnt produce, so a little more feed went in and I stayed down the edge for another ½ hour. When I came back to the open water I soon had a 2lb skimmer on caster and for the next 2 hours rotated between the open water and edge swim. Most of the fish came to caster, but I couldnt get a bite on soft pellet.

½ way into the match I had 23 fish. A new swim was set up at the bottom of the shelf, feeding only caster, which produced a few quality roach, but generally I was beginnig to struggle for bites.

The rest of the match was spent rotating swims, as well as trying different areas of the peg, picking up the odd fish, mostly on caster.

By the all out, I wasnt sure if I had won the silvers, because I knew Matt had caught, including a big golden tench. During the weigh in it was obvious that Mike West on peg 21 won with 68lb of carp on soft pellet. Matt's silvers weighed 16-14 and I honestly didnt think I had that, so was really pleased when the scales went 21lb, however I still had to hand over my pound, because Matt had 2 carp and beat my total weight by 15oz.

No comments: