Sunday 7 February 2010

06/02/10 - Lands End - Johns Lake

Weight – 29lb 0oz
Catch – 7 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather – Mostly bright & sunny, becoming chilly
Water Temp – 6.5c > 6.5c
Match – Open – 3rd overall


Well it made a nice change to go fishing without having to worry about ice, although more cold weather is on its way!

Mike has decided to give Match Lake a bit of rest for the next few weeks, because it hasn't been fishing well, so we found ourselves on Johns Lake. With 12 of us booked in, we used the same pegs that would be used for next weeks winter league and I drew 62, which has been a form peg over the last few weeks.

After a week of mild weather, we were all looking forward to a few bites and reports from Wednesdays match suggested the fish would need feeding. So on the all in ¼ a pot of micros went in at 12m and a bit of caster at 6m. I started tight to the island on maggot, toss potting a bit of micro, but after 15mins I couldn't get a bite from any where along the island.

Time to try the 6m line and 5mins later I had a 1½lb carp on maggot, but then nothing. This wasn't what I expected and most of us were struggling for a bite, let alone a fish. By the half way stage I only added a small roach to my carp, I even tried the waggler fished into the gap between the island without success.

Garry Wall opposite on 50 however had 4 carp, but lost a further 4 or 5 by pulling too hard, but other than that those around me were struggling for bites. A cold northerly started blowing as well which wasn't helping.

I had been flicking 4mm's out towards the point of the island in 61 which I could just reach with 16m. A couple of liners suggested there were fish around, although they weren't taking the bait, but at least I was getting indication which was more than any where else in my swim. So a big pot of micros went in at 13m straight in front, because it couldn't do any harm, another pot of maggot, pinkie & caster went in tight to the island in the gap and a handful of bait went down the margin.

As for the other point of the island, I decided to keep the feed light, so a small toss pot of micros was fed at 14.5m. Whilst I let that settle I would try other areas, again without a single indication. I managed to snag a carp tight to the island at 16m on triple pinkie, but all my other carp came in the last 2 hours over the 14.5m swim, on soft pellet.

By the end I thought I might be in with a shout of framing, because Garry could only another 1 to his net and the gossip was peg 42 had 5 carp, but they were munters. As it happens, Mike West on 41 had a brilliant last hour adding 30/35lb to his winning 44lb, peg 42 finished with 31lb and these were the leading weights by the time the scales arrived. At 29lb it was slightly more than expected, just a shame I couldn't connect with any of the big boys.

Dale ran me close on 70 for 3rd, weighing 27-7, which included a winning 4lb of silvers. Overall the fishing was harder than expected, probably due to the colder conditions and the wind had switched from the south westerly to a northerly. As for my day, I kept plugging away and was eventually rewarded. I didn't lose a single fish, although I had a heavier rig set up, 6 of my carp came on .11 bottom, 20 silverfish pellet hook and doubled 6 elastic. I know some will say I don't need to go that light, but as Tony says it about confidence.

The strange thing about today, was the fact people either caught early or late, but no one could keep the fish coming all match and the lack of silvers that showed was a bit of puzzle. I had a proper silvers rig set up as well. A few more lessons learnt and if this result is duplicated next week (assuming the lakes arent ice over again), it would mean maximum points.

No comments: