Monday 17 November 2008

16/11/08 - Lands End - Johns Lake

Weight – 10lb 4oz
Catch – 2 F1, 1 Common Carp, 1 Roach.
Weather – Cloudy, mild, occasional drizzle, breezy.
Water temp – 10.0c > 10.5c
Match – Open 22th overall, 11th in section.

I should have known I was in for a bad day, when the wheel snapped off my space shuttle trolley at the lake. So that meant 2 trips to get my kit back to the car. Not happy.

Johns & Sydney’s lake were in for this match. I drew peg 54, which is an average draw and I wanted to try a few slightly different things in preparation for next weeks Lands End Winter League. I would normally approach this match fishing caster, maggot & corn, fishing for bites, but today I wanted to feed more pellet (4mm expander & micro pellet), mainly because fishing maggot on Johns lake results in tiny roach.

I started fishing tight to the island hoping for an early carp. In the meantime I feed some micro pellet, 4mm expanders and caster at 14.5m just off the end of the island. After 15mins, I hadn’t caught so switched to the 14.5m line. I soon caught a F1 on corn, but that was my only fish for a couple of hours.

Other than peg 55 not much was being caught, probably due to the tricky wind. It seemed my swim was devoid of fish, until I noticed a fish roll in an area of my peg I hadn’t feed. 1st drop in the new area I caught a F1 on corn, I fed 4 bits of pellet, 10 mins later I caught a carp, At last! Sussed it. Eh no. A couple of missed bites & a bumped fish and then nothing. I was really frustrated, I even tried firing caster at the point of the island, but 1 lost foul hooked carp was all I had to show for it.

It seemed as though the fish were backing off the feed, yet peg 55 had caught & won the match with 35lb (and not fishing particularly well!) feeding, as did peg 59 opposite.

I am here next week and the weather forecast is for a cold snap by the weekend. So I think a patience, tight feeding regime will be required.

No comments: