Tuesday 4 November 2008

02/11/08 - Lands End - Johns Lake

Weight – 16lb 0oz
Catch – 13 Roach, 3 Carp, 2 Perch, 1 Bream, 1 Tench.
Weather – Cold & cloudy. Northerly breeze.
Match – Veals Winter League – rd 4 – 25th overall, 6th in section.

Peg 55 on Johns Lake. At least it wasn’t one of the middle pegs, but it hadn’t shown much form recently. In the last winter league Kev Perry managed 18lb for 4pts, so if I could walk away with 10pts, I would be happy.

A quick chat with Rod Wootton told me to fish 16m to the point of the spit, fishing up & down the shelf. I feed caster, 4mm expanders and later micro pellet. I also set up a line at 11.5m in open water, feeding chopped maggot, hoping for some silvers.

Despite a tricky wind, I had most of my fish, feeding at 14.5m and fishing at 15-16m, on maggot, plus a 3lb bream on pellet. The silver fish line only produced a few small roach and even those weren’t coming regularly, so I had no choice but to concentrate on the longer line. I did try the margins, however without success.

Tony Rixon was on peg 54 and beat me by virtue of a few more silvers, weighing 17lb 3oz. His swim was more sheltered from the wind, which made for better presentation. He did lost a few carp, which were foul hooked, I tried not to look pleased!

In the end I achieved my target of 10pts, which keeps me in contention in the individual league, although the team is still struggling and it doesn’t look like we will be retaining the league title this year.

Overall the weather meant weights were generally lower than expected, but I still feel there are areas I can improve on, particularly with the Lands End winter league starting next week. I biggest problem is my feeding, I struggle to keep my hand out of the bait box!

1-Chris Davis - Westerleigh 53pts
2-Eric Fouracre - Sedges Mosella 49
3-Rod Wootton - Sartan Club AC 48
4-Ryan Shipp - Westerleigh 47 (184-12)
5-Ken Rayner - Maver Veals Red 47 (88-3)
6-Tim Pallant - Maver Veals Blue 45.5
7-Mike Nicholls - Charlies Angels 45
8-Anton Page - Sarfix South West 42 (200-4)
9-Adam Palmer - Sedges Mosella 42 (79-7)
10-Tony Rixon - Avon Angling 42 (70-8)

No comments: