Wednesday 18 June 2008

11/06/08 - Horseshoe Lake

Weight - 118lb 6oz
Catch - 13 Carp, 6 Bream, 5 Rudd.
Weather - Sunny & cloudy. Some light rain. Slight Breeze.
Water Temp - 21c > 21.5c
I wanted to further practice the pellet waggler. Unlike my last session, I came with 2x 12ft reactorlite rods, with 2 differing hooklengths. So why 2 rods? Basically its a time saving exercise. 1 hooklength was 6" long, whilst the other was 9". Its surprising how much 3" can make!

The rigs used

The session started very well with 11lb 14oz carp 2nd cast, after that the fish came steadily. The longer hooklength worked the best, but it was noticeable the carp weren't really having it. Normally the carp would push the bream & rudd out of the way, but there was hardly a ripple on the surface and it was bright, which seemed to unsettle them.

Over the 5 hours I fed 8 pts of 8mm pellet, but in the last couple of hours I had to vary the feeding pattern to entice the fish. Sometimes I would fire in 3 quick pouches of pellets, then cast over the top and sometimes I would stop feeding all together for 5mins.

10lb 10oz Carp - look at the size of that tail!

Instead of getting stronger the session tailed off. In fact I didnt catch for the last 45 mins. I think the weather conditions were a little against me, plus I didnt have a back up plan! Anyway it was good to get some practice on the pellet waggler.

No comments: