Wednesday 18 June 2008

01/06/08 – Fishponds

Weight - 160lb 13oz
Catch - 17 Carp, 3 Bream.
Weather - Cloudy & muggy, slight rain at times. Very calm.
Water temp – 17.5c


My favourite method here is the pole & paste. Last month I caught my personal carp of 19lb 8oz on the method. Although I have caught shallow on the pole, I have always struggled to catch on the pellet waggler. So today’s session was about catching on this method. I also had the pole & paste as a back up.
After 45 minutes I managed my 1st fish. The following 3hrs, I fed 6 pints of 8mm coarse pellet, which resulted in 10 carp up to 12lb 12oz and 2 bream. During those 3 hours I continually messed around with hooklengths ranging from 6ins to 2 ft. The shortest hooklength was by far the best.
To be successful with the pellet waggler, is not to be lazy. Before I cast I fed 8 pellets, cast, feed a 2nd pouch of pellet and then a 3rd. All this in a 60-90 second spell. It is rare to catch a carp if the bait is in the water for longer than this. On the pole you should be lifting and dropping continually, so you must apply the same principle to the waggler. I am by no means an expert on the method, but I am determined to master it.
The remaining 2 hours of the session was spent fishing the margins on paste and caught a further 7 carp and a bream.
Overall I am really pleased with the session. I felt I managed to sort the pellet waggler for this water, but the practice was useful for a forthcoming trip to Stafford Moor. As for fishing the paste, I am really confident on it, but fishing the waggler offered me a challenge, which on this occasion was successful.

No comments: