Tuesday 21 November 2023

19/11/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 16lb 8oz (4lb - silvers)
Catch - 4 Carp, 23 Roach, 4 Skimmers, 1 Perch
Weather - Showery and very windy.
Match - Winter League rd 2 (48 fished) - 6th in section.

The 2
nd round of the Winter League and my turn for the Old Match Lake which has been fishing very hard recently, so a decent draw was required. Based on yesterday’s match and the prevailing wind I fancied either p8 or 10 at the bottom of the lake, so was a little disappointed to pull p3, where the angler yesterday tipped back 2lb of bits. That said following yesterday’s match I was still confident of catching. 

Like yesterday, I started on the pellet cone, again using Uzit P-nut cloud flavoured fishery micros and soon caught a skimmer on corn. I stuck with it for an hour fully expecting the tip to go round again, but it never did. The only angler I could see catching was Jamie Durup on p16 opposite and Roy Booth on p10.

As I couldn’t catch on the tip, I tried the 11m line where I fed groundbait and caster but was getting pestered by small roach. My margin was better, catching some chucky roach on maggot, but there seemed to be very few skimmers around.

In the last 2 hours I knew I needed some carp and stayed on the pellet cone. I managed 4, but 2 of them were very small. I also tried corn down my margin, but it was obvious there was still loads of small silvers in the peg despite putting in 2 pots of feed.

In the end a really disappointing day where I fished the same as yesterday, but there just wasn’t any volume of feeding fish in front of me. P8 won the section with 47lb and p10 came 3rd.

1.    95-14 – Gary Knight – p6 (heron)
2.    78-12 – Martin Thomas – p48 (kingfisher)
3.    69-12 – Carl Mulford – p13 (heron)
4.    63-  6 – Dwayne Seed – p2 (heron)
5.    61-  6 – Chris Telling – p16 (heron)
6.    60-15 – Stu Foale – p24 (heron)

No comments: