Friday 1 July 2022

29/06/22 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 144lb 8oz
Catch - 46 Carp, 1 Tench, 1 Skimmer, 1 Roach 
Weather - Showers to start, but sunny and breezy
Match - Garbolino Club Angler (80 fished) - 3rd in section

The Garbolino Club Angler qualifier and only 12 anglers would qualify from 80. So a kind draw was required and I was disappointed to see 52 staring back at me. There was a chance it could be ok as the wind was blowing into the arm, however my section ran from 48 to 54 and with all 5 pegs in down the arm of the lake, meant I really needed a bit of luck.

The intention was to fish my usual paste (kriller & blue ice) approach at 2+2 and down the margins, plus a pellet rig to fish on the top kit, starting on a small 30g method loaded with sludge boosted micros and a 6mm kriller gofter, cast to the far bank.

I had a good 90mins catching some decent sized carp, although Dave Bruton on p50 was about 15lb ahead of me. A quick look over my paste line resulted in a foul hooker, which was a worry as I had expected a better response.

Back on the feeder and a couple more decent stamp carp, before they gradually got smaller and less frequent. By the halfway point (2.5hrs) I had about 90lb and was happy with my progress, but I didn’t feel staying on the feeder was right as I needed some better stamp carp to catch up with Dave.

I fed my paste line positively, but the 2+2 line just wasn’t right, and I was struggling to catch 2m off the margin in 2.5ft of water. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing off my left shoulder which meant it was flat calm over my short lines and having anglers either side meant I couldn’t get the fish to settle as I would like.

Fishing tight into the margins resulted in a few fish and to be honest I got a little pre-occupied chasing tails. I even tried the pellet rig off the end of the keepnet without success.

In the end I finished on the 2m off the margin swim, but I just couldn’t catch quickly enough and knew I hadn’t qualified, beaten by Dave who weighed 207lb, so well done Dave. 2nd in section was 157lb from p48 and I feel I did OK, but it was always going to be tough from my draw.



No comments: