Wednesday 15 March 2017

08/03/17 - Sedges - Tile

Weight - 40lb 10oz (15lb 3oz - silvers)
Catch - 6 Carp, 18 Skimmers, 1 Tench
Weather - Mild & showers
Match - Costcutter - 2nd out of 8

With the upcoming pairs series this Saturday and the individual league starting in 3 weeks time, I really wanted to have a practice to get back in tune with the place, because its been a nearly a year.

When ever you turn up at Sedges you cant help but be impressed at how well kept the venue is. Today there were only 8 of us, including Mark Poppleton, my partner for the pairs series. the concensus was the weather report of heavy rain had put off a couple from turning. So we could at least stay clean (relatively speaking) Jamie pegged us along the road bank of Tile and I ended up with p23. Mark drew next to me on p22.

I hadn't done much prep, particularly for my rods, so kept it simple with a straight lead rod and a small hybrid feeder. I did have a waggler rod already set up, but after a couple of casts it wasn't right and never got around top sorting it put properly. 2 pole rigs were also set up, both 0.14 bottoms, 1 to target the deep water at 13m and 6m, plus another to fish up the near shelf. I had considered setting up a proper skimmer rig, but to be honest with only 2 pay outs today carp needed to be my main target.

On the all in micros and few 4s were introduced at 13 and 6mm meat and hemp at 6m. Started on the straight lead and bread towards the island.

After 15mins I landed my first carp and was soon attached to another before the hooklength snapped. Schoolboy error, because when I was landing the first carp the line had snagged on its dorsal fin and I really should have checked it, but didn't. On the hour mark my 2nd carp was safely netted. With no further bites, a switch to 13m and 4mm expander resulted in a 3lb+ tench which was a nice start and I was soon catching skimmers, toss potting micros/4s every fish, but think I over did it as bites slowed.

Mark had also switched to his pole line, but catching more quickly by pinging pellet. More pinging and less toss potting brought the fish back and had a nice little run of skimmers up 3lb, before they backed off again.

A 3rd carp mid match on the lead/bread kept my total ticking over, but it was obvious the majority of fish were the other side of the rope. As for my meat line that was a complete bust, despite several attempts during the match I never had a bite. Fortunately 3 carp on the lead & bread by the island in the last hour helped, bring my total to 6.

I had seen a few fish being caught, but it didn't appear anyone was running away with it and when the all out was called was hopeful of framing. By the time the scales arrived 28lb was the best weight, which I knew I would beat since I estimate I had about 35lb. As it was I had more silvers than expected my weighing 15lb of silvers. Mark had 18lb of silvers, which was the best silvers on the day, but only 4 carp to finish with 32lb. The angler on the end peg had a good last hour fishing against the end bank, weighing 10lb of silvers, but his 5 carp weighed 33lb to beat me of by 4lb.

Overall an enjoyable return to the venue and between us a couple of pointers for Saturdays pair's match.

1. 44- 5 - Rob Dodds (Sedges) - p21
2. 40-10 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p23
3. 32- 6 - Mark Poppleton (Colmic) - p22
4. 28-11 - Nick Selway (Sedges) - p29

No comments: